I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

From Rich Forhan
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2016 06:36PM

Some of you may not see this since it's a couple pages deep now, so if you have interest in the week old topic on rod balancing for a Flipping Stick, you may want to revisit this and read the last reply.

[rodbuilding.org]

Also, Rich informs me that he is returning to the Expo this February and will be presenting two seminars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 06:37PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: From Rich Forhan
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 07:04PM

Will there be any reprints of his book available?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2016 07:47PM

He didn't mention it to me so I can't really say.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2016 09:27AM

Interesting update to that thread Tom, thanks for mentioning it. All I can and will say is, I respectfully disagree with Mr Forhan's post, and leave it at that.

Sure wish I could make it to the Expo though. I'd love to see the seminars Mr Forhan is going to give.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 10:20PM

Dennis, bring money to the show ($20) plus name and address on a card and I'll send you one of the few remaining copies. I will be giving away 3 copies to Tom for the Expo, one for the reception and one for each of the seminars I give.

David, sorry you can't make it, we probably would agree on more than you think. I'm giving away my Do-It mold for lead rod weights to be inserted into blanks. The problems usually come from the words Flip or Pitch and their differences in technique. I intend to explain and show the differences and what it means for rod balance. As a minimum those at the Expo will see the techniques as intended by the originators, plus a couple of secrets that Dee kept to himself (almost).

Tom has my original notebook, however, I will be giving away a color copy dated 2/20/99 of the drawing of guide spacing and handle lengths for 6, 6 1/2 and 7 foot Revolver (Baitcasting) and spinning rods. Bring money if you want a copy. Tom will let me know how many copies I might need.

I built my first rod in high school in 1957. I published "Powerhand Baitcasting", in 1997. I spent 2 years testing everything in rods, blanks , weights, guides, handles, etc. prior to publishing the book. Tom has published about 10 articles I wrote for Rodmaker, those articles are still relevant and influential, just out of print. See you at the Expo with all NEW info, mostly because I can't remember what I said at the previous ones.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2016 01:30AM

Rich, I'm sorry I can't make it as well. I've been to the tackle show B.A.S.S. puts on during The Classic, and that's the proverbial kid in a candy store kind of thing. I can only imagine I'd feel the same way at The Expo.

And you're right, we probably would agree on quite a few things. And even if there were certain points we didn't agree on, I'm sure we'd be able to see each others point. That's one of the things I love most about this web site. The open exchange of thoughts and techniques. Some of those thoughts pertain to other individuals and the way they perform certain tasks, some don't.

For instance, I don't hold the rod with my off hand (my line control hand) like say Gary Klein does. Gary was taught the flipping technique by Mr Thomas at a young age. I do however place my fingers under the rod just ahead of the reel. That may not be the way the originator of the technique does it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm doing it incorrectly.

Case in point. Like Dee Thomas and Gary Klein, I'm right handed and use right hand retrieve reels, yet I hold the rod in my left hand when both flipping and pitching. Doing so has definite advantages over those that need to change hands or hand position when engaging the reel. That doesn't mean that either of us are doing it wrong. We just do it differently.

Anyhow .... I just feel that there is more to having a balanced rod and reel combination when either pitching or flipping, than just the position of the rod as the bait is being fished. Both techniques involve the wrist and forearm in lifting the tip of the rod to put the bait in motion. A lighter tip rod makes that motion less fatiguing. At least that's the way I see it.

I appreciate the response.

I truly do love this place !!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2016 01:34AM by David Baylor.

Date: December 11, 2016 06:56PM

Rich, If I were to send you a prepaid mailer plus $25 would you drop it in the mailbox to me? Looking back some time ago you were offering a hard cover copy. Are they still available? My email is: ydmdanku@aol.com
Thank you, Dennis

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: December 13, 2016 01:29AM

Dennis, yes. Email sent.

Date: December 13, 2016 10:13AM

Thank you Rich, But I haven't received a email from you yet.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 10:25AM by Dennis Danku.

Date: December 13, 2016 02:36PM

Dennis, I've tried the email you gave twice. Email me. forhanrods@gmail.com

Date: December 15, 2016 12:48PM

EMAIL sent.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster