I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Midwest rod and Reel Ice Rod Blanks
Posted by: Josh Caroon (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 05:11PM

So a while back I had asked on here about ice rod blanks and it was suggested I try Midwest rod and Reel Ice Rod Blanks. At the time I ended up with Thorne Brothers blanks but now I was interested in buying some Midwest. I found the site and didn't find any blanks. I emailed him but it turns out he won't have any this year.

I was interested in his because I've heard multiple people say they are very similar to TB and St Croix. I know I can get blanks from TB but honestly at $50 a blank I just can't justify it.

Does anyone know of any other blanks that are similar (to the Midwest) or anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Midwest rod and Reel Ice Rod Blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 07:07PM

Posted by: Josh Caroon (---.midco.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 07:19PM

Awesome! Thanks. Any advice on what one is similar to the Thorne Brothers rods?

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 07:24PM

Look at the extreme taper blanks.
They will give you great versatility.
They are very good quality.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Date: December 08, 2016 09:13AM

All of the afore listed ice rod blanks are constructed of solid glass or graphite.

Thus, if you have a need to change the action of the blank, you can place the blank in a variable speed drill or lathe, spin the blank up to speed and then use various grits of sand paper to remove material on the blank to achieve the action of the blank. Many of these blanks are very inexpensive so if necessary several extra blanks may be obtained as spares when doing experiments on changing the taper of the blank. Often, just removing material from a couple of inches of part of the blank will give you the perfect action that you are looking for in a given blank application.

Especially when working with the glass blanks, keep the speed down a bit, because it is rather easy to melt a blank if you get the heat up too high on the blank while doing sanding work in the blank. The graphite blanks - not so much.

Good luck

Posted by: Josh Caroon (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 08, 2016 09:55AM

Yeah I've thought about that. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that level of detail yet. I haven't been ice fishing enough yet to really know for sure what I like or need. Maybe after this year I'll get a little more crazy with that stuff.
Thanks again for all the help. I have 4 blanks from Jans I need to build then I'll buy some of these :)

Date: December 08, 2016 11:54AM

Josh,
May I ask your location?

If you happen to be in the Twin Cities location of MN, you could swing by and I could give you some pointers if you need any help.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Josh Caroon (---.sub-174-219-138.myvzw.com)
Date: December 08, 2016 12:13PM

Thanks for the offer. I actually live in Moorhead but come to the cities a lot as all my family lives in coon rapids. I might just take you up on that if I need any help next time I'm down. . Thanks!

Date: December 08, 2016 01:11PM

Josh,
I reside in Blaine, so only a few miles from Coon Rapids. If you want to stop over some time - just drop me an e-mail.
Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster