I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe for shaping cork
Posted by: Daryl Richer (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 05:57PM

Just getting started in this new hobby. I'm building a trout rod for my son for Christmas. What do you guys use for shaping the cork handle??? I've seen one out on Mudhole but it's a little expensive for me, just starting out in this. I really didn't want to put out that kind of money until I see if I like this or not. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe for shaping cork
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 06:22PM

If you are going to be shaping cork, and possibly later shaping wood, don't go cheap! If you are not sure about staying with building, you can use a drill or drill press. Do a search in the library to find threads on the subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 06:22PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 07:11PM

Good advice above from Phil. A quality lathe is not inexpensive. And a lesser expensive homemade lathe for turning cork is an unnecessary expense if a rod for your son is a one off deal or if you want to ease into this pleasant misery step by step.

An alternative is to purchase a preformed grip and ream to fit using a rat tail file.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 08:41PM

You can shape cork with an electric drill held horizontally in a bench vise with little trouble. Check out Flex -Coat videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 08:43PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: John Cates (107.77.72.---)
Date: December 05, 2016 10:17PM

Here is a link to our most watched video about our cork lathe setup.

[www.flexcoat.com]

If you have any questions give us a call 512-858-7742

Ask about free shipping...

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Caleb Roberts (107.72.164.---)
Date: December 06, 2016 09:35AM

Harbor freight has a small wood lathe that, with thier coupon it brings it to under $100. It's not fancy, but with a mandrel form a sponsor here, is perfectly suitable.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.33.---)
Date: December 06, 2016 09:59AM

Grizzly Hoppy Lathe H2669. About $60.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 06, 2016 03:07PM

If you have a drill press this works very well on cork and EVA:

Use 5/16 threaded rod with nuts and washers as a mandrel to hold your glued together components. The rings are easily drilled to 5/16 on the drill press before assembling and gluing on the mandrel. You can have multiple components on a single mandrel about 1 foot long. Be careful not to get the parts epoxied to the threaded rod, toilet wax seal on the threads helps, as does careful application of the epoxy to the loosely mounted rings.

Sink a 5/16 bore cheap ball bearing into a 1 x 4 board drilled to the OD of the bearing. Line it up with the mandrel chucked into the chuck of the drill press, and raise the bed of the drill press which puts the mandrel into the bore of the bearing. Now clamp the board to the bed and lock the bed height.

Start with 60 grit sandpaper, and progressively move to finer grits as you get close to final dimensions.

You now have a very secure, safe setup that will make your component OD's very concentric with the 5/16 bore. Being 5/16 instead of 1/4, less reaming. Carefully ream or drill to be sure you maintain concentricity.

You will end up with a 5/16 hole in the butt knobs which can be covered by a rubber interior trim washer (clean with alcohol and sand the gluing surfaces of rubber parts to remove any mold release compounds on them). Or save some cork shavings/dust from when you were turning the cork, mix with epoxy, and plug the hole. It will be quite unobtrusive.

You can do this for less than $10, and it makes sense until you are sure you want to buy an expensive lathe. I've built this way for years, still haven't popped for the lathe.

Posted by: Daryl Richer (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2016 04:32PM

Thanks for all the help. I was all set to go up to the local Harbor Freight and get the one Caleb suggested, but they're out of stock. HF said it is a discontinued item. Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2016 05:33PM by Daryl Richer.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2016 08:11PM

Daryl Richer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all the help. I was all set to go up to
> the local Harbor Freight and get the one Caleb
> suggested, but they're out of stock. HF said it is
> a discontinued item. Thanks again for the help,
> everyone.

In that case, I'd suggest taking a look at the one Spencer mentioned, the Grizzly Hobby lathe. Rodmaker mag did a recent article on it.
[www.grizzly.com]

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.252.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 09:56AM

For cork and EVA, the Grizzly will work. I've used one for over ten years. Burl cork about pushes it to the limit, though; I definitely wouldn't try to work with anything harder than burl.
All you have to get is a good set of mandrels, and you're good to go.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 12:23PM

Daryl,
Also, check your local Craig's list, pawn shops and used tool stores for lathes. You can often find a decent lathe for a very good price in these sources.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.248.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 07, 2016 12:58PM

I was in the same boat as you. Wanted to shape cork but was unhappy with my wrapping lathe. I got the drill mount from Flex coat and loved it. I still use it for a lot of things even though I have a regular lathe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster