I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point Blank 691mxf Vs. 701mf
Posted by: Mark Hogquist (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 03:22PM

The 6'9 medium model has 440 grams of power and is rated up to 5/8 oz. The 7'0 medium model has 460 grams of power and is only rated up to 1/2 oz. Is the higher lure rating on the 6'9 model due to the Xtra fast taper, or are the ratings on the 7'0 model off and should be higher or at least the same as the 6'9 model?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank 691mxf Vs. 701mf
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2016 03:47PM

The Action Angle numbers would indicate the 701 (78) is actually a faster action than the 691 (76), which could possibly be the reason that it is rated for a bit less casting weight than the 691. A faster, lighter tip would not have as much tip power and therefore not carry as high of a lure casting range. Although it could be something else. I'm sure Jim or Donnie will weigh in and let you know if it's something else.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 02:57PM

I have the PB701MF as a personal spin rod and I love it. I feel that the lure rating for this rod is under rated. It will cast 5/8 oz with absolutely no problems without the slightest feeling that the blank is over loaded. For a medium powered rod it has a lot of power, but is extremely light and responsive. I did a CCS deflection test on this blank and I found that it took significantly more weight to deflect it 33% of it length then the listed RDA deflection #. RDA is obviously different from CCS. I think you can safely pick the length you want without any problems with the lure rating differences.
Norm

Date: December 03, 2016 03:25PM

RDA numbers (the CCS Big Picture) aren't relative to each other except on the same blank at different portions. The CCS provides numbers that are relative across the board. Note that on the two blanks the poster mentions, the RDA "Action Angles" peg the slower action blank with a higher AA number than the faster action blank.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 07:06PM

Thank you Norman. I just wanted to make sure the blank can comfortably handle a half ounce. I figured the top rating of 1/2 oz was on the low side. I've been told to trust the Point Blank Rda numbers more so than Ccs or lure ratings. I'll be ordering the 7 footer in hopes that 3/8 is rig right around the blanks sweet spot. Much appreciated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 07:07PM by Mark Hogquist.

Date: December 03, 2016 07:08PM

Tom - Yes I saw that. Not knowing what RDA was, l learned very quickly when I did the CCS deflection procedure on the blank that it was not the same as IP. I wish Point Blank would give the CCS IP number rather than the ERN. With the ERN that high it is difficult to back track to the IP value, since ERN vs IP does not appear to be linear. Cannot remember off the top of my head exactly what the measured IP number was for that blank but it was approximately 240 +/- a few cents. I did try to extrapolate the expected IP number from the ERN given by Point Blank using the ERN vs IP table in the CCS article (making a few assumptions). The extrapolated IP number I got was very close to what I actually measured. Using the 240 cents number in the formula given in the CCS article, the upper end of the lure range is close to 3/4 oz. and the lower end is close to 3/8 oz. I know this rod will cast 1/4 oz lure quite well. So it seems to me that this Point Blank has a relatively broad lure range. I think this is a good thing and confirms my feelings that the lure range was under rated. To some I am sure this is quite boring, like reading a foreign language, but I think Tom and a few others know what I am trying to say.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 07:33PM by Norman Miller.

Date: December 03, 2016 07:51PM

The CCS allows relative comparisons between blanks. The RDA (taken from the CCS Big Picture) doesn't necessarily do that. A more powerful or faster blank can appear less powerful or slower depending on the portion you measure. Not so with the CCS.

There is really no reason to convert back to IP (if you just want relative power), as the ERN figures are relative. Higher figures indicate more power, lower numbers less power. But you already know that. The important thing is that they are relative to each other. The URRS chart has some tip power numbers which are better for determining casting lure weight range, if you want to do that.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 04, 2016 09:06AM

Norm,
I agree with you regarding IP number rather than ERN. I’d like to see a published conversion from cents to ERN. I think many of us use IP numbers and see no reason to make a further conversion to ERN. I have several versions of “bootleg” conversion charts, which may or may not be legitimate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 10:13AM by jim spooner.

Date: December 04, 2016 09:29AM

The Rosetta Stone chart is cents to ERN. North Fork once published a complete graph that included ERN up to 200, including Tip Power and Power Reserve figures. I believe Dr. Hanneman signed off on it.

Date: December 04, 2016 09:45AM

The Rosetta Stone chart stops at 173/16.00 and the URRL (table 2) does not provide a direct conversion. I'm glad to hear about NFC publishing a complete "authorized" conversion. I don't think many of us were aware of it. I'll contact them to see if it's available.

Date: December 04, 2016 09:48AM

[northforkcomposites.com]

If the download no longer works someone there may be able to get it for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 09:51AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: December 04, 2016 09:59AM

Thanks Tom, that's helpful.

Date: December 04, 2016 10:36AM

If they don't have it, I probably still have it on my computer somewhere and I'll see if I can get it added to the online library here so folks can download it directly. Won't happen today, however. Maybe early in the week.

Date: December 04, 2016 12:32PM

Thanks Tom, that would be greatly appreciated. The resolution of the chart makes it almost impossible to read. .
Norm

Date: December 04, 2016 01:56PM

Yes, it's much larger in original size. I'll see if I can find it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster