I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide height tool?
Posted by: Chris Zarza (107.72.162.---)
Date: December 02, 2016 10:28AM

Has anyone ever done such thing to avoid ordering guides you don't need?

I'm imagining something like a flat piece of plastic with steps for each guide specific to a certain guide model. If that makes sense...

I haven't built many rods so it hasn't been much of a problem for me so far of trying to figure out which guides to use. Not only of ring size, but heights.

I'm trying to build a couple rods to specific spinning reels and trying to size up the guides appropriately. (spool off, straight axis, choke point, sizing up guide heights to the line, etc)

Am I over complicating things or being super picky? How can I order the proper guide sizes on the first shot?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 10:33AM by Chris Zarza.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide height tool?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 12:49PM

Chris,
You can be as picky as you want or as general as you want when installing a guide size at a particular spot.

For my clients as well as myself, we often interchange and use different reels on the same rod. As a result - I basically use a medium sized reel and generally set up all of my spinning rods with a given set of guides - and all of my casting guides with a given set of guides. I personally am not concerned with a particular reel being too big for a rod or too small for a rod. Simply put, because over the life of the rod, the rod will likely see reels ranging from small to large during its ue.

The one thing that I am very particular about and that is to make the first or stripper guide large enough and tall enough to avoid deflecting the line during a cast. I have seen too many rods with the first guide too low and thus cause drag on the line due to the line rubbing on the first guide.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 01:10PM

I agree with Roger's post. I will add that if you want to use Fuji's K series guides, they have a suggested sequence of reduction guides in their catalog, and they really do work well. Last rod I built I used their recommendations and right out of the box it cast beautifully. Keep in mind that some of the taller reduction guides will not fit into rod tubes in boats.

I am confident that by using the Fuji method you will not have to waste any guides; first order will be dead on.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 01:36PM

Micheal's recommendation is a good one. It is hard to go wrong with the reduction guide grouping that Fuji suggests. Most guide manufacturers publish the height of all their guides, so it becomes relatively easy to put you own reduction guide grouping together based on guide height. For many starting builders guide selection seems extremely complex and confusing, however guide selection becomes much easier with experience. The American tackle microwave guide sets take all the guess work out of guide selection, and they do work very well.
Norm

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: December 02, 2016 04:32PM

I use a spreadsheet. I give it the spool diameter, height of the spool shaft from the blank, height of my choker (usually KB5or Minima4). It uses 27X to tell me where to put the choker.
Then I list all the guides and their heights (provided by manufacturers). It's a simple formula to calculate, for each guide, the distance from the spool shaft where the top of the guide lands on a line from spool shaft to top of choker. Based on those distances I can choose the spacings I like.
Since I'm a visual learner, I went one step further and included a chart which shows a scale drawing of heights and distances so I can see the progressions.
Sounds complicated to some, but it's really simple and I don't have to run a string and tape on guides (or have one of every guide size on hand).

I should also say this is the starting point. I'll adjust as I see fit.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 04:35PM by John Shear.

Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 05:00PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The one thing that I am very particular about and
> that is to make the first or stripper guide large
> enough and tall enough to avoid deflecting the
> line during a cast. I have seen too many rods
> with the first guide too low and thus cause drag
> on the line due to the line rubbing on the first
> guide.

Is there a general rule one should follow regarding stripper guide sizes for a particular spool size?
ex: 4000 reel will get a size 30 stripper, or 8000 reel will get a 40 or 50, etc. From a cast-ability and non KR standpoint at least....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 05:29PM by Chris Zarza.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster