I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9wt saltwater fly rod guide suggestions
Posted by: Michael Sing (---.static.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 06:34PM

I'm building a 9' 9wt fly rod that will be exclusively used in saltwater, in the surf and inshore. I'm thinking about using fuji k guides with titanium frames starting with a kw 16 and then a kw12 for my reduction train. What would be the a good running guide size? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9wt saltwater fly rod guide suggestions
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 07:13PM

For that build I use single foot size 5 wire guides.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 07:19AM

I would go light as possible with the stripper guides. Look at pac Bay minima 4 Ti coated. I believe the fuji K guides are overkill and there's no benefit from the design...IMO. For the runner guides I prefer snake style guides. Recoil or snake brand make a quality product. One size 6 or 5 then size 4 or 3 to the tip.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 08:02AM

I use the Fuji K Ti frame and SiC or Torzite on all my fly rods now that the Ti V guides are discontinued. Doesn't give you the height like the V guides but I still like Fuji quality. If it is for yourself I would consider going with the Torzite for added diameter of opening.
If blank is fast I would use the SnakeBrand runners in a size 3 (I use 3's on my #10's) If the blank needs lighter runners then I would use REC Recoils in a #4. Same with the tip-top. If fast the SnakeBrand in the small ring. If slow then the REC Recoil in large ring.
I've had some bad snarls pulled through the SnakeBrand small ring tip top.
Herb

Posted by: Michael Sing (---.static.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: December 04, 2016 07:30PM

Herb the rod is for me and the action is fast... if I went with the torzite k guides would you recommend the 16 12 reduction train that I mentioned above or would you use something different?

Date: December 05, 2016 06:44AM

Just curious. How do the torzite guides benefit a fly rod? # 16 guide retails for $32.00. Do the benefits outweigh the cost?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 09:53AM

Grooving of guides is not a problem with full fly lines, but perhaps a problem if you use shooting heads with mono running line and do a LOT of casting. Fishing the surf with a 9 wt. rod is heavy duty stuff. I would go to two-foot guides for durability. Fly casters for distance and some surf fly casters are going to #20 stripping guides for increased distance. Small running guides look nice and save weight but tend to get torn off the rod when a big fish takes off and a snag in the fly line comes out of your shooting basket.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 12:04PM

I do not think there is any additional benefit to using torzite guides over any other type of ceramic guides. A titanium frame helps with corrosion but the type of ceramic ring does not matter that much. You cannot cut or even scratch any type of ceramic ring with a hacksaw blade, therefore they will hold up just fine with any line you use. Basically only a diamond will cut any type of ceramic guide. Spend the extra money on the frame not the ring. Titanium alconite or equivalent is all you need. In addition, if you damage a guide it cost a lot less to replace. If you clean your gear after fishing stainless steel frames will hold up well.

Date: December 05, 2016 12:44PM

Phil and Norman, thanks for the responses. I was hoping herb would respond since he recommended the torzite guides. I use double foot minima 4 guides for my fly rods and haven't had any issues fishing from boat or beach in Salt conditions. Phil made a good point about shooting head lines, but I still don't see the point in spending that much money for torzite. I feel it's better spent on the blank. Phil also mentioned using a size 20 stripper which I agree is a good idea. I use a high frame 20 on most of my rods. Great info fellas. Happy holidays! MH

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 06, 2016 10:26AM

Sometimes when you hook a good one that decides to leave the area in a hurry and before you get him on the reel your stripping hand feels a small tangle headed for your guide train. Lefty has a suggestion for this situation: turn your rod upside-down, which makes it easier for a small twist or tangle to pass through your guide train - but only if your rod is equipped with snake guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster