I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Minima Grooving Problem
Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.sub-70-196-141.myvzw.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 07:15PM

Hello all,

I purchased some Pac Bay Minima guides with stainless steel inserts from one of the biggest online parts dealers. I ordered the BF3XG and BM3XG and put them on a 7' MH Spinnerbait rod. I only used 20lb mono. Two years later, the 2 guides closest to the reel and the tip top guide are grooving pretty substantially.

Has anyone else had any problems recently with these guides? Did I goo too heavy with my line selection?

Oddly enough, the Tiblack Minima guides I ordered are in perfect condition, although those rods haven't been used as much and I used braid with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Minima Grooving Problem
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 08:39PM

I use minima 4 guides in saltwater with 20-40# braid and catch fish from 5# -40# on them. I haven't had any grooving problems with the guides. Years ago I did have grooving issues with the minima 3 tip tops. If you do a search you might find more info, but I do remember another builder having the same problem as you. Someone posted the problem might be debris on the line etching the guide ring. Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:10PM

I have been using minima guides for the few years now and so far so good. However I have been using the minima 4 guides with braided line, and have not used the minima 3s. The minima TiBlack guides are minima 4s. From what I understand both the minima 4 and minima 3 guides use the same hard chrome insert with the difference between them being the way they are swagged into the frame. It has been reported that mono is more abrasive then braid. So my guess is that the mono line is at least partially responsible for your grooving problem. When I first started to use minima guides I was concerned about grooving, but over the past few years that concern has diminished somewhat. I am positive that the minima guides will never wear as well as ceramic guides, but that is one of the trade offs one makes for lighter guides whose rings do not pop out or crack. As an edit PAC Bay does not use the terms 3 and 4 anymore and this was to avoid any confusion. In some past post it was mentioned by Geoff Staples at Batson that people having grooving problems with minima guides to send the guides back to him.

Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:43PM

One of the biggest contributors to guide grooving is dirty lines (any type) the dirt acts like sandpaper when passing in both directions through the guide.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 10:06AM

I have wondered how well these would hold up. Once upon a time we got away from hard chrome guides and went to ceramic due to wear problems. I have seen many posts saying the Minimas will not groove but posts like yours make me wonder.

RJH

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 10:11AM

Hi All,
Just to clarify, I was working at PacBay when I requested that Minima guides be sent back to me. Current Minima issues would need to be addressed with PacBay and not sent to Geoff at Batson, obviously. ;) Vic or Scott at PacBay can address any current issues folks may have with PacBay products.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 10:52AM

Carlos,
Replace the guides and tip with Minima 4 guides and move on.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 11:10AM

Geoff - Your past posts were a major factor in getting me to try the minima guides. I have been impressed with thier lightness and performance, so thank you.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 05:52PM

Gelspun braids seem to be impregnated with some substance. Lines used to fish the surf or off the beach encounter very fine sand on the bottom and suspended in the water, and these sand particles may adhere to the wax or ? filler in braided line. Sand on a string has cut through many prison bars.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 02, 2016 12:38PM

Hey Phil.

Carlos said he only used mono on this rod.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: December 02, 2016 07:57PM

Robert: Right you are. I suspect more grit adheres to braid than to mono and I know the composition and density of suspended particles varies from place to place. Still, if I built a rod to fish off or near fine sand beaches, lakes, or rivers this fact would influence the type of line and the type of guides I would use.

Robert: Right you are. I suspect more grit adheres to braid than to mono and I know the composition and density of suspended particles varies from place to place. Still, if I built a rod to fish off or near fine sand beaches, lakes, or rivers this fact would influence the type of line and the type of guides I would use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster