I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing Graphite Rod Handle
Posted by: Brody Haakenson (---.gondtc.com)
Date: November 29, 2016 08:27PM

First off i'm new to the sight wish I would have found it years earlier. I am still new to the rod building sciences and have many things to learn and questions that need answers

For any of you who have used this type of handle what is the best finish to go over the handle with. I used prokote on one previous handle and I ended up having ripples in the finish. Is there a better option to finish this or is there a way to get rid of the ripples in the finish.

Thanks in advance

Here is the handle i'm using

[www.mudhole.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing Graphite Rod Handle
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 08:40PM

Top coat with permagloss looks good very durable and easy to do. Here is a U tube link by Tom Kirkman showing how to top coat a carbon fiber grips. If you do not have a lathe you can use a cordless drill.

[m.youtube.com]

Norm

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 08:44PM

X2 Norman. That's how I finished a few.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 08:49PM

It's not necessary to finish graphite tube type spinning seat/grip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 09:39PM

Spencer may be correct did not notice they were tube type woven graphite grips. Have not used these before, but I assume that a top coat with permagloss would not hurt.
Norm

Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 03:04AM

Nice video Tom, very informative. Now I would like to know what brand lathe you have and the entire setup including the chuck. I cannot find a lathe that I like. Your lathe is exactly what I am looking for. Hope you read this and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2016 08:01AM

That particular lathe is no longer made, although there is a very similar unit in the company's line up. It's from OneWay Manufacturing in Canada and you should look at the model 1224. The one in the video is a 1018 which was replaced by the 1224 a few years ago. Virtually identical but the 1224 has a tad more bed length and a bit more swing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster