I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Number of guides
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 07:05PM

Hello

I am building a medium action bait casting rod a Fufi pistol grip. The distance from the tip to the center of the reel seat is 70 inches. The butt guide will be 20.5 inches from the center of the reel seat. The guides are minima BT3X'S
I think 7 guides will work any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Number of guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 08:42PM

All the guides are going to be 3 mm guides on top?

Date: November 29, 2016 08:59PM

I was planning to use #6 for the last 3 guides because it is a medium action.

John

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 09:34PM

I think you will need at least 8 to 9 guides for your rod. Let the static test determine the number of guides needed. I think when you do the static testing you will realize that 7 guides are to few.
Norm

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 10:11PM

Mine is 6' overall, but it is spiral wrapped and it has a total of 9 guides on it

Ron Weber

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 08:00AM

I'm thinking Norman and Ron are in the right neighborhood. I'd certainly buy at least 9 and most likely 10 just to be safe. Having extra guides around is always a good idea in my book.

Just thinking out loud here though.

I use a 5'6" over all length pistol grip rod for throwing spinnerbaits shorter distances, say 30' casts. I'm wondering what kind of wrist strain that long of rod with a pistol grip will cause? I tried a 6' pistol grip rod for a day of throwing spinnerbaits. Predominantly 3/8 oz with a 1/4 and 1/2 oz mixed in.

I have no idea how far it was from the tip to center of the reel seat, but it had to be less than 70". My wrist and forearm was killing me at the end of the day.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 01:07PM

John,
Based on the given effective rod length , 7 guides should be fine.
Distance from tip for guide placement 4.0 ; 8.7 ; 14.3 ; 20.9 ; 28.9 ; 38.3 ; 49.5 should be satisfactory.

Gene

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2016 01:36PM

The height of the guides plays a major role here. Higher guides allow you to use less, but may result in a greater tendency of the rod to twist under load. Lower guides will require more of them, but somewhat reduce the tendency of the rod to twist under load. Weightwise, the difference between fewer, higher frame guides and more, lower frame guides, is most likely a wash. The general trend lately, due mainly to the increase of lighter guides, is to use lower frame guides in greater number. Remember that the proper size is always the smallest size that will easily pass your line and any connections, and hold up to the required task.

Date: December 04, 2016 08:15AM

A little late for my response because I took all the suggestions and revised my plan.
I will shorten the rod slightly.
8 guides will be used.
The client is good with a shorter rod and 8 guides but insists on the pistol grip.
Thanks for all your advise.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2016 08:13AM

I love the two rods I have with pistol grips. They make roll casting so easy and accurate. The shorter length allows me to keep the tip down which gives me a nice low trajectory. Great for shooting baits under overhanging limbs and under higher docks.

If I was any good at skipping with a bait caster (just can't bring myself to practice it enough) my guess is the pistol grip would make it a lot easier. I know it's more comfortable than trying with the straight gripped rods I have. Of course the straight grips are a couple inches longer than the pistol grip.

Love a pistol grip for the right circumstances though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster