I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 06:44PM

Has anyone built a fly rod with spiral wrapped guides? I wonder how such a fly rod would perform.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2016 06:50PM

What would be the purpose? The point of the spiral wrap is to get the guides on the bottom of the rod. The guides on a fly rod are already on the bottom of the rod.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 08:42PM

X2 Tom. I just don't see the reason for it unless you mount the reel in top.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 11:22PM

Reel on top will cause problems, due to the reel being behind your hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 11:23PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 07:48AM

I wasn't serious about the reel on top. Spiral wrapped fly rod doesn't make any sense.

Date: November 30, 2016 01:14PM

Among other things I wondered if having the fly line in direct contact with the rod blank would increase the sensitivity of the rod.

Date: November 30, 2016 01:14PM

Among other things I wondered if having the fly line in direct contact with the rod blank would increase the sensitivity of the rod.

Date: November 30, 2016 01:32PM

No, it won't. And would only lead to twisting problems per conventional bait casting outfits.

Date: November 30, 2016 09:33PM

Sensitivity is not an issue in fly fishing, rarely do you feel a bite is is an observation.

Date: December 01, 2016 05:42PM

Phil: In 60 years of fly fishing I have felt some pretty strong tugs when a salmon or a yellowfin or a pike or a bass hit a streamer or a surface fly/popper. My interest is how I can improve the sensitivity of my fly rod to feel hits on a slack line.

Date: December 01, 2016 07:50PM

Those strong hits are beyond "sensitivity!" The feel for hits will not travel up slack! Any sensitivity will come from the tip not from slack laying against the rod. I have also been fly fishing for 60 years.

Date: December 01, 2016 09:13PM

The foam core, carbon skinned grips will up the sensitivity a bit. They're more rigid than cork and much more efficient transferring energy in both directions. Other than that - build light. Short guide wraps, as few guides as necessary and as light as possible.

Date: December 02, 2016 11:17AM

Good point about the grip transferring energy to the angler's hand. Novice fly anglers have trouble feeling that little "tug" when their backcast straightens out. This prevents them from beginning their forecast at the ideal moment and results in short casts and piles of slack line at their feet. More sensitivity makes good sense here.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: December 04, 2016 10:43AM

I find holding the rod in the proper position helps with sensitivity as well. When I fish from a boat or beach I hold the reel high (waist to chest high) and the tip is just above the water surface when stripping line. That reduces the amount of line flopping around in the air and keeps it almost slack free. I'm able to see and feel the fish tap the fly. Plus it's easier to strip set the hook.
I agree with Tom. The carbon grips also make a difference. I just started using them this year and I won't go back to cork for my personal rods. Light, durable, sticky and added sensitivity .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster