I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Outrigger Rod blank suggestions
Posted by: Arthur Amaral (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2016 08:27PM

First timer here, so please forgive the long post. I'm not sure if I am asking too much of this or just haven't been guided properly. I fish on charter fishing boats for striped bass and all of the boats use fiberglass rods while trolling. The reels themselves are about 30 ounces plus the weight of the rods with aluminum butts and very frequently, it can be noticed that clients can be fatigue by "fighting" the rod. I'm hoping to reduce this by one, having a rod acid/spiral wrapped and also looking for a blank less than say 9 ounces. The boats a generally moving 5-6 knots and when a fish hits, the inertia is immense and the rods just bends right over, as they're designed to do. A rod builder was suggesting carbon fiber rods, which of course are nice, but I was under the impression that carbon fiber does not handle this type of inertia well, as in "blowing up". I am just a mate on the boats and not getting paid for this but if I can help clients enjoy fighting the fish and less the rod, it will be nice to see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Outrigger Rod blank suggestions
Posted by: Andrew Goble (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2016 10:57PM

I would suggest a blend rod, carbon fiber on the butt end, transitioning to fiberglass at the tip! I personally like the Batson/Rainshadow Bullet Proof series (BP)!

Date: November 29, 2016 12:32AM

Thank you for the reply. The BP series that you mentioned is the RX4 line up correct? The only rod in that line up was model SWS70MH. It's weight isn't too bad at 4.5 ounces. Would you suggest cutting 6 inches from the top for more backbone? The R6/E-glass models remind me of the Grafighter rods, graphite down below, glass above. Looking at the weight of the models and what I need them to do (be much lighter and take the impact that an outrigger rod needs to take) seems to be asking a lot.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 10:32AM

Arthur,
Frankly, for your use, I would stay with a 100% fiberglass rod. I think that for the stresses you mention, other rod materials would have a very good chance to blow up on the strike of a fish.

Take care

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 11:19AM

I build a lot of trolling rods for rockfish. I like the American Tackle AXGC66MH for that purpose. Of course I build mine traditional, but would think a spiral wrap on the blank would work as well.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 29, 2016 01:09PM

Just wonder what weight line and how many pounds of drag are being used?
There are several Batson choices, "SWB" and "TS" in E-Glass, "BP" in 2 piece RX4, "SWS" lighter power in RX4,
"RCLB" and RCJB" in Composite.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Arthur Amaral (---.sub-174-192-29.myvzw.com)
Date: November 29, 2016 07:07PM

Roger, I do think that I'm asking too much and am afraid that may be the only way to go. Craig, I'll look at those blanks shortly. Ron, each boat is different, some use 50 mono on the outrigger rods and some use over 100lb braid. As far as drag goes, I haven't actually measured it. Penn 113h and diawa 450h are the most popular star drag reels and myself and other mates go by feel, after setting the line out, we adjust the drag for "strike" and tighten down once the fish is on.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 12:29PM

For striper trolling we'd recommend from our RainShadow lineup:

RCKJB606-325 - 6'6", 30-60lb, 8-15oz., Moderate Action and Heavy Power - 7.96oz blank weight
RCKJB700-250 - 7'0", 30-50lb., 6-10oz., Moderate Action and MH Power - 6.8oz. blank weight
RCKJB700-325 - 7'0", 30-60lb., 8-12oz., Moderate Action and Heavy Power - 9.0oz. blank weight

RX6 Graphite with an E-Glass tip. Lot of our guides use from this lineup. We have or can have Spiral Wrap blueprints for these rods.

More details at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: November 30, 2016 03:03PM

Thank you James for the replay and information. The RCKJB700-250 is the most appealing from the 3 recommendations that you provided. If it would make any difference, I'd shave off 6'' from the butt end of it. I'll try to find someone local with that blank to check it out. Still wishing for that low weight blank but as I mentioned, it may be dreaming.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 30, 2016 04:18PM

We could probably find some with a lower blank weight but since not all of your clients are skilled with a rod, durability is important the guide industry. Always feel free to call in and talk to one of the sales reps as well.

Yeah taking off 6-inches shouldn't change the blank too much.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: December 01, 2016 10:54PM

James, thank you for the info. You are absolutely correct concerning durability and client's skill levels. I'll figure something out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster