I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trout rod build
Posted by: Dan Scollard (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2016 05:53PM

Just purchased a Rainshadow SP781-2. Intend to use as a small stream rod on trout here in rainy Oregon with a series 2000 reel and #4 or 6 mono with spinners and small spoons.
It's a 6'6" 2pc RX6, #2-6, 1/16 - 1/4oz, butt 0.355, tip 4.5, L power, M action, 1.1oz blank. Recently put together a steelhead rod with Pac Bay Minima guides and I like how light they are. Would these be a good choice for this trout rod? And what sizes would you recommend? Thank you all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 10:41PM by Dan Scollard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trout rod build
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2016 06:52PM

Minima guides will give you the lightest guide train going. I prefer the minima match (M) guides as stripper and reduction guides coupled with minima fly (F) guides as runners. For the stripper I would use a size 16 M followed by a size 8 M and a size 6M, and the runners would be all size 4 F runners. I have made a bunch of UL and L rods using these guides. These rods are very light and responsive and cast extremely well. Set the guide train up following the Fuji KR GPS found at Anglers Resource. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: November 28, 2016 09:42PM

Norm nailed it IMHO if you are looking at Minimas.

Date: November 28, 2016 10:46PM

Once again, thank you Norman (and Victor). The guides you specified are very similar to those I used on my previous (and very first) build.

Norm, using the KR GPS I notice that when entering line choice I am limited to #8-10, and 10-14 mono. In other words, the software won't allow me to enter a lighter line. Think it makes a difference?
Also, are the 'f' guides the same as the 'l' (low) guides? I'm not seeing the 'f' guides..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 11:25PM by Dan Scollard.

Date: November 29, 2016 12:36AM

Dan - You will notice that if you put in 6 -10 braid for your 2000 reel you will get exactly the same results as you would get if put in 8 - 10 mono. In fact you would get the same results if you were using a 1000 reel with up to 6 mono. So the bottom line is that it is not a big deal for relatively light line and small reels. The GPS basically gives you a very good starting point. So in your case the stripper would go at 19" past the spool axis. I think that is a good position. The first running guide (choke guide) will be at approximately 38" - 40" past the spool axis (19 - 21" from stripper). I usually position the two reduction guides progressively between the stripper and choke and might move the choke out a little. I am looking for a nice straight line. But putting them where the GPS suggests will also be fine. The GPS also suggests using 4 running guides for a total of 7 guides, I would use at least 5 running guides for a total of 8. The other runners would be spaced appropriately between the choke and tip top. When you are happy with the look of the layout, do you static test to see if anything needs to be moved or added. Then take it out and test cast it with the guides taped in position. I think you will like the way it feels and performs. I went down to my shop and measured up one of my 78" L spinning rods. Here are the distances from the tip down to the stripper:
3.75" (9.5 cm) from tip top
4.5" (10.5 cm) from guide 1
5" (12.5 cm) from guide 2
5.5" (14 cm) from guide 3
6.25" (16 cm) from guide 4
6.75" (17 cm) from guide 5
7" (18 cm) from guide 6
8" (20.5 cm) from guide 7
May be a fraction off on the measurements I made, but close enough. Do not know your handle length but probably close to mine. You may need some small adjustments from my layout. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: November 29, 2016 12:58AM

Forgot to mention the F guides. Here are two links showing the minima match (M) guides and Fly (F) guides.

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

Norm

Date: November 29, 2016 01:12AM

Norm, wow! Thanks so much. Very generous of you and very much appreciated.
Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster