I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to apply supper glue to the reel insert
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 11:26AM

I see lots of really outstanding reels inserts here , I can turn down the wooden block to what I want but I have no idea now to apply CA
to get the finish that I see here , I looked on this forum from HEAD TO TOE but could not find any information on it ,
can some help out an fill me in or point me in the right direction so I can find out how to do it thanks to all that respond I hope some one will
help

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to apply supper glue to the reel insert
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 12:02PM

Google CA wood finishing and you will find the answer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2016 05:56PM

Morris did a seminar on this at the Expo last year and will likely do another one this year. It's really a matter of applying it, sanding, adding more, sanding (finer and finer) and repeating until you have the depth you want and then micro polishing.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 09:21PM

the info from the web sure answers all my question on how they do it, thanks for the direction on how . lots of information there

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 12:34AM

When I used super glue for wood finish, I used wax paper to apply the glue.
I would have the grip turning slowly, apply some super glue to wax paper and then use the wax paper to get the glue on the wood with no excess or drips.

The super glue does not stick to the wax paper and does not affect the cure of the super glue.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 27, 2016 09:33AM

When I worked with superglue I applied in a manner similar to what Roger did, other than when I tried the superglue/linseed oil method which used paper towel to apply.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 08:01PM

What is the advantage of using superglue over some of the other quality finishes available?

Date: November 27, 2016 08:04PM

Quick.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (73.19.174.---)
Date: November 28, 2016 12:03PM

Super glue is quick and it seals the wood against moisture. In addition to rods I do a lot of woodturning, on small items like bottle stoppers and pens I don't find the need to sand between coats. Turn the project fairly slow 450 rpm and I apply very thin coats with a blue shop towel quickly to the piece. Every three coats I hit it with accelerant, not directly on the piece but on a shop towel applied to the piece, and the finish is amazingly clear and shiny smooth. If you screw it up you can sand it smooth and start over.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 12:15PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 04:42PM

I have found that Super Glue is not an ideal finish for rodbuilding. It would be fine if the customer doesn't use the rod much or if they keep it out of sunlight. UV breaks down CA finish and you will experience cracking and hazing in the finish after a fairly short period of time. There are better finishes for durability in rodbuilding, CA is quick and easy to apply, but doesn't seem to hold up down the road.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 11:02PM

Mark is exactly correct in his statement. I used it for a very short while, and issues started arising from it.

Ron Weber

Date: December 01, 2016 07:07AM

Just to clarify my "Quick" reply above: Years ago after considerable efforts to reliably produce an acceptable finish with CA, I gave up. As my lathe is located in my garage, seasonal temperature and humidity changes in eastern PA presented challenges. Even my best outcomes fell short of my desire for a level, flexible and durable reel seat finish.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster