I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat
Posted by: Wayne Campbell (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 11:28PM

New guy, love the forum.

Looking to use the ACS 17 on a build. When ordering the seat, how do you know what diameter to order?

I do not have the blank in hand yet. It will be the phenix 909 xh with 6" chopped. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 11:53PM

Hi Wayne,
17mm might be cutting it close as you might need an 18mm seat for those blanks depending on where you cut, and there are more factors to consider. Phenix 909... abyss? axis? black diamond? And you will be cutting 6" from the bottom, top, or a combination of top and bottom? How far out do you want the reel seat from the butt? You can ream 1-2mm out of those reel seats to get a snug fit, so you can be a little conservative, but your best bet is to get your blank and measure the diameter of the location with calipers so you don't get the wrong one. You can also do a calculation which is how I normally measure exposed blank reel seats, but you're going to need to know exactly where your seat is going to be before you start. Let me know if you want the calculation.

Nick
nlam004@gmail.com

Date: November 25, 2016 12:02AM

It's the psw 909 black diamond, Was going 6" off the butt

Thank you for the help man!

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 12:31AM

how far form the butt is the reel seat?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2016 09:04AM

I do calculations as well. They've worked very well for exposed blank reel seats and winding checks as well.

Of course in order for the calculations to be accurate, the blank in question has to have a linear taper. So far so good on the bass rod blanks I've used them on.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.ip.adam.com.au)
Date: November 26, 2016 01:14AM

Another option is to look at the PTS17 seat. I like both the ACS and PTS. The best part of the PTS is you don't need to worry about that exact measurement, you just need to make sure the inner tube will fit the blank, pretty much like all seats.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 09:10AM

Fuji lists dimensions of the ACS on the Anglers Resource web site on the left. Compare those with your blank dimensions and order accordingly.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 10:17AM

If you are buying both the blank and the reel seat from the same place, call them and ask them fit an ACS seat to the blank as close as possible to the position you want it. Slightly smaller is better than larger, you can ream the seat for final fitting. Most places are happy to do this. Doing this will take all the guess out of the process.
Norm

Date: November 26, 2016 12:34PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. The build actually got put on hold now. I have all the info saved from this thread and I picked up a caliper yesterday so that should take out the guess work going forward.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2016 05:57PM

Wayne,

For future reference have the vendor check the reel seat to see if the size you are ordering will fit. Just give them the distant from the end of the blank to the back of the reel seat in inches. If the size you have ordered doesn't fit they will ship the next size larger. In the case of the rod you are going to cut off 6" just add 6" to the distance measurement you provide them and the reel seat will fit in the position you want after 6" has been cut from the blank.

Mudhole has a comments box on their order page and you can type in your requests in the box. Or just call the vendor on the phone and explain your situation and they will take care of it. I just had Carol at Upmost Enterprises size a reel seat and three winding checks for me; because I wasn't sure of the blank the dimensions.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 05:59PM by Donald R Campbell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster