I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WOW..... thread types......Pro Wrap..Fuji..Pacific....nylon........
Posted by: Marlon Rovira (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 04:44PM

"Somebody Help Me". Surely experience pays off here. I don't feel like investing in threads that will just sit there because I discovered they suck.
What are your recommendations?????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WOW..... thread types......Pro Wrap..Fuji..Pacific....nylon........
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 08:26PM

A lot depends upon what you are building. In some cases size "A" is best in others "D". Are doing decorative wraps or just guides?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 08:46PM

I have used pro wrap extensively, also Fuji, and they are both fine quality threads. There are others that are too, according to those who use them. You'll hear from them soon.

My only complaint in Pro Wrap is that their original metallics tend to jump off the spool, hard to manage. They have come out with premium metallics, but most of the colors don't appeal to me. The original metallics are troublesome at times, but I still buy and use them. Pro Wrap may have the best color selection of both regular and metallics.

The size you use will be determined, as stated above, by what you are trying to do.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 04:30AM

I've often used Pacific Bay's in size A regular nylon, since moving away from Gudebrod. No problems. I generally like Pacbay stuff overall. I've tried only one spool of Prowrap, found it fine too. I've used Fuji once, in black, regular nylon size A and found it very very slippery, made it difficult to begin wraps.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.115.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 12:16PM

I've used Gudebrod, Pro Wrap, Fuji, Fishhawk, Pac Bay, and a few others. The only one I truly didn't like was Pac Bay. I still believe Gudebrod to be the best but supplies are vanishing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 06:41PM

Today, I commonly use Pac Bay and Fishhawk and both work very well for me. I also use Pro Wrap and do agree that the metallic's are a bit on the "springy" side, but also work well.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 09:20PM

I haven't really found a replacement that I like as well as Gudebrod for colored thread. However, for Black, I have used the Bullard Black ever since they introduced it. In my opinion, it is the blackest black you can find. I think (hope) it is still available from someone out there.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 12:43AM

Marlon,
Experience will dictate your favorite thread. I (recently) started wrapping and with ProWrap and have found no issues so that is what I buy and use. I was excited to find, purchase and use a spool of Gutebrod in the color needed for a vintage repair but was very dissatisfied with the splotchy, lumpy effect left on the rod. I use size A for underwraps only and D for everything else, be it a trout or tuna rod as it is easier to work with and shows off intricate thread details better.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: November 26, 2016 08:21PM

makoi

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2016 10:07PM

It's a funny thing - when it was available, Gudebrod was oft maligned by rod builders for its poor quality. Once it became unavailable, it became the greatest rod wrapping thread of all time.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 10:42PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a funny thing - when it was available,
> Gudebrod was oft maligned by rod builders for its
> poor quality. Once it became unavailable, it
> became the greatest rod wrapping thread of all
> time.
>
> ...........

Very true Tom - we hear that very often with items that are no longer available. Fact is these items become no longer available for a reason.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 10:04AM

I have used most of the thread brands past and present and have not had any real problems with any of them. But I rarely do long wraps or decorative wraps. I buy different brands when I want to try different colors. I like prowrap because it does have a lot of colors and comes in different sizes. If you are planning on doing decorative wraps most use Madeira because it comes in an amazing variety of colors and shades. However it requires color preserver to prevent finish problems.
Norm

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-131.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2016 11:06AM

An opinion from another rookie. I prefer Fuji thread, for one reason. Almost no fuzzies. The problem with Fuji thread is a very limited color palette.
Pro Wrap is my second choice. A lot more colors, and with the exception of one bad spool, very little fuzzy problem.
Pac Bay was the worst I've tried. Maybe I got two bad spools of that?
If Madiera came in shorter spools, I would give it a shot. Lots of colors there.
My new fav for trim, inlays and accents is Sparkle Silk. When finished without CP, it looks like a string of tiny beads. Very nice when used sparingly.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 11:31AM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom Kirkman Wrote:

It's a funny thing - when it was available, Gudebrod was oft maligned by rod builders for its poor quality. Once it became unavailable, it became the greatest rod wrapping thread of all
time.

" Fact is these items become no longer available for a reason."

Perhaps so. Rod wrapping thread was supposedly a minor part of Gudebrod's product line. I don't see that such a small sector could bring down a large company over the issues we,as rodbuilders encountered. Unless the quality control went down the tubes across the board. It may have been across the product lines. Typically,it speaks to poor management or other such issues.

Sorry to get away from the topic.

Of what is currently on the market today,I have used Fishhawk,Pro Wrap,Madeira, and B u l l a r d s. I like all of those brands well enough.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 03:42PM

The reason Gudebrod went out was not rod thread but Dental Floss. I was told by one of their VP;s at a Merrick Tackle show
that they lost a bid to an overseas outfit. They were supplying most of the US market at that time and floss was the major portion
of their business. The first year the overseas supplier had to turn to Gudebrod to fulfill the order as they could not meet production, but
evidently this did not continue and they folded.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 11:17PM

Joni Mitchel, 1970, song “Big Yellow Taxi”, “…you don’t know what you’ve got ‘till it’s gone…”

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Marlon Rovira (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2016 11:23PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the scoop. This really helps.

I LOVE THIS FORUM...............Y'ALL KNOW YOUR STUFF????????????????????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster