I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ice guide wrap advice needed
Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.vastbb.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 03:09PM

I am trying to wrap wire guides to a ice fishing rod for the first time. I a having trouble with gaps in the thread when I get to the guide that I cant get rid of. As I get closer to the tip the guide is wider than the blanks and I get the gaps. It isn't as noticeable on the other end where the guide and the blank are the same size. I am using size A thread. So do I need to use a bigger size thread? I tapered the guides so the transition on to the guide would be as smooth as possible and I also tried to sand the sides of the guide a little to help. Do I need to sand more off the guide or do I risk sanding too much of the guide and compromise the strength of the guide. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. here is a picture to help explain this. Thanks Justin
[s1023.photobucket.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ice guide wrap advice needed
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2016 05:56PM

You can grind the side of the guide foot down so that it is more narrow. It doesn't have to be any stronger than the blank is.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 06:49PM

Justin,
X10 on Tom's comments.

The guide material is many times stronger than the blank material. No issue to grind down the guide to match the size of the blank. On very fine tipped rods, I generally do have a bit of guide overhang on the blank, but really no issue with gaps.

One thing that I do, that is of a great help is to use a power wrapper and a double support on each side of the guide as I wrap.

i.e. I have a rock solid support on each side of the guide within about 2 inches of the guide on each side.

One of the biggest issues with wrapping fine tipped ice rods is the flex of these very thin blanks.

A picture of the blank support that I made from pieces of solid glass blank material and a kitchen cutting board. I drilled a series of holes, the same size as the base of the glass blank material. I used a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel to put notches into the tops of the glass solid blank material. Then, I used the appropriate base hole to obtain the appropriate spacing on the rod. A 1/4 inch hole in the blank support matches the holes in my other blank supports for the rest of the wrapper, so I can position the blank support any where it is needed to give the blank the necessary support.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

p.s.
As shown in the afore mentioned pictures, single foot fly guides work very well for ice rods and their use.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2016 06:50PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 07:50PM

Thanks Tom I will have to go back and do some more prep to my guides.

Thanks Roger, I will have to make one of these setups that you made that's a neat idea. I forgot to mention that I am using a power wrapper but I am still getting used to it yet . I just got it a few months ago. It is easier than trying to hand wrap small blanks. I did some practicing last night and its getting better.
Thanks for the help guys. Justin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster