I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Every ro(a)d goes to St. Croix?
Posted by: Tommy Simonsen (---.banetele-cust.com)
Date: November 23, 2016 06:11PM

You know when you get one of those a-ha experiences.. The time when your head suddenly has a bright moment and file all information you gather into the same file, not just because their related but same case - just different names.. Well I'll get to the point:

1) My first build was a burgundy no name blank I got for christmas a few years back. I later found out that this was supposed to be the same as the factory mounted rod I gave my gf the year before, after I'd read an articel with the headline translated to "Heavily tested in Michigan". A 9' 7/8 weight rod produced for a distributor in Denmark. With the american flag printed in the signature. This was my gf's first rod and she caught her first salmon on it. She loved it and I broke it later.
-No problem, I pair it with a piece from my rod. It was a good thought but they didn't match. Her rod was slimmer than mine. Strange at first, but I found out in the store that what she had was a newer version. Thinner and therefore lighter version.

My first introduction to St. Croix was when I searched mudhole.com for blanks. Not a familiar name to me (Apologize to all of you americans, not on my home turf) Which is Scandinavia, but as my hobby developed I had go abroad to search for supplies due to a narrow market here. After I joined this forum recently the St.Croix name popped up more frequently and I read a post about a burgundy rod which gave my attention. Could it be? Well as I’m searching bits starts to fall to place. I remember the old Michigan article and after a google search on Michigan, St. Croix pops up as well

-A-ha!

My gut feeling is that my blanks are St.Croix’ but I’m not certain yet, but I’m still gathering info on this matter.

2) I love Guideline DH rods and I own a few of them. I’ve tested their flagship but found it to expensive: The Reaction FRS. (New clue for you americans right there) A couple weeks ago I suddenly came across these again for 50% off. Time to make a deal. Well, I’m still only about too.. I prefer to build it but Guideline offers no blanks.
And now after research in case 1) I came across the abbreviation FRS at St.Croix homepage.

-A-ha! wait a minute here…

I go back to Guideline’s homepage….

-A-HA!!

»In close cooperation with one of the most experienced, well equipped and modern rod factories in the USA, the FRS rods take advantage of some of the most advanced technologies available in fly rod manufacturing»

-That’s St.Croix! Now maybe I can get blanks equal to the Reaction rod instead?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Every ro(a)d goes to St. Croix?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 07:40PM

A mystery solved! They do make very fine blanks.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 10:21AM

I have a St. Croix SCII-SCIV 5 wt. fly rod I built and it's my favorite. It fishes nymphs and throws dry flies with equal ability. I just love them. Just my two cents.

Date: November 24, 2016 12:02PM

I'm definitely gonna stick to them. I've got several sets of the burgundy left. Built one for my cousin before this season. He really liked it. My dad built one of his own, it has turned out to be his favorite rod. I had a plan to build a stealth rod this winter. Blank, grip, reelseat, guides, wraps in all black. And when I entered the St.Croix homepage, what did I see? The Legend X! Wow what a beauty. I'm stunned.

Date: November 24, 2016 05:55PM

If anyone with good knowledge to St.Croix can tell me what models these burgundy gloss blanks that came available here in 2012 could be, would be highly appreciated. 9'-4 pieces. Got them in weight 6-9, but I think they were lower too. They are not coated on the ferrules, wonder if they should be like this or if they are seconds?

If you also could check out this site below and give an opinion if you belive I can fin these rods in close to similar blanks at St.Croix.
[www.guideline.no]

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 08:17PM

Do not know of any St Croix blank that comes with a bronze grey metallic finish. But that does not mean much since the distributors can have it finished in the color they like. Might also want to look at Rodgeeks fly rod blanks, these are made in collaboration with St Croix and you can select the color you like. They are very nice blanks. The gloss Burgundy blanks you mentioned are most likely the SC IV / SCII series. Below is St Croix 2016 RodBuilder Catalog, which list all of thier blanks.

[stcroixrods.com]

Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster