I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Carben fiber grips and durability
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (45.53.17.---)
Date: November 23, 2016 01:31AM

Has anyone that have used these carbon fiber grip ever had any trouble with the mesh over the grip coming off. If you look at the pick below you can see how the fiber cloth is just heat shrunk over the grip.

[www.mudhole.com]

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carben fiber grips and durability
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 07:38AM

What makes you think it is heat shrunk? Carbon fiber cloth doesn't shrink, and I'm sure the process is gluing the cloth to the core, with the epoxy penetrating and sealing the cloth. The result should be one of the most durable types of grips available, but they are so new (CFX) that there most likely is no long term customer experience. I have no hesitation to using these grips, and putting on more finish to provide a gloss finish really does, as on photo shows, make them extremely beautiful. I also like the feel of the ones I've done (not CFX, they are all Riley cores, cloth, and epoxy.).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2016 07:55AM

They're glued to the core.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 08:49AM

I've built a several rods with them. They look great and are very durable. Most people coat them with perma gloss or epoxy. I prefer epoxy. They look like glass are still very light. Not sure why you would think carbon fiber put on with heat shrink but if it was the seller would tell you that.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: November 23, 2016 09:40AM

I recently tried a carbon-fiber grip (Forecast) and didn’t care for it. It was a bit heavier than a comparable cork grip, but not much. After fishing with it for an hour or so, I didn’t care for the feel of it. A slick finish would probably be an improvement (also added weight). Anyway, I cut it off and replaced with cork, which I think has a better feel.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 09:45AM

The CFX grips are extremely durable and good looking. I prefer to coat with Permagloss. I have been using them since they came out and still look as good now as they did when I installed them .
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 10:37AM

I find it highly doubtful that THESE CFX grips weigh more than cork. Anyone making a decision based on weight should do some experiments and come to their own conclusion.

Do Forecasts have a metal trim ring on them? Maybe that could explain a plus over cork?

Date: November 23, 2016 11:58AM

The density of the foam core is the main factor in how much they weigh.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 12:10PM

I have been making carbon fiber grips for fly rods since early in their development, using fiber and epoxies supplied by Riley Rods.

They are more durable then cork, do not chip, gouge, discolor or fray.

They can be made as smooth or as tactile as one wishes, some customers like it one way or the other.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 04:48PM

If you like the cloth look and want the ultimate in durability make your own utilizing bi-axial, woven Aramid (Kevlar) sleeves,,, as long as you like yellow. When using any woven fabric sleeve for a grip, I strongly suggest keeping the finish to a minimum to allow the weave texture to be felt, then fish it. Additional coats of finish can easily be added but impossible to remove. Other than aesthetics, I cannot imagine anyone preferring a shinny, slippery grip. The carbon/Kevlar weave-textured grip on one of my first builds is very comfortable and beneficial while dueling 30lb yellowtail.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chad N Wilson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 05:17PM

CFX grips are lighter than cork. CFX core material is different than what is commonly used (pour foam) for these types of grips. It is the weight of 4 lb pour foam but has the compression strength of 7 lb foam.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 07:36PM

Mark, the shiny grips are NOT slippery! Even wet they are not, however fish slime will make them so.

Date: November 24, 2016 08:21AM

X2 Phil. I epoxy my carbon grips and they're not slippery at all. It's the exact opposite. I really like them on fly rods, because even when my hands are slimy from handling fish the grips remain sticky. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. MH

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2016 11:26AM

I just placed an order for my next build (sadly it is just to replace a rod that I had break earlier in the year) from GetBit, and was hoping to use the Alps carbon fiber grips. The bummer was, while they listed the fighting butt for a split grip, they didn't list the part of the split rear grip that fits against the reel seat, so I ended up ordering the CFX grips from Mud Hole.

If I may, I have a couple of questions about some other aspects of them once they're coated. Them not being overly slippery when wet makes some sense to me. After all, if you have dry hands and need a better grip, spitting on your hands definitely helps.

But I'm wondering how hot they are to the touch if they've been laying in the sun for a while?

Also, do they make your hand sweat in hot weather? Do they feel colder than say EVA would feel, in cold weather?

I ordered EVA grips from GetBit just in case, but I'm hoping I like these carbon fiber grips. They sure will make for a beautiful build.

Date: November 25, 2016 11:55AM

Smooth and slippery are not the same thing. Size and shape have a lot to do with how hard it is to hold onto something. Varnished wooden hammer handles are smooth, but not slippery. They have passed the test of time for use in all weather conditions. Carbon fiber grips are much the same. Yes they are more warm or cold to the touch than the same in cork, but for most it's a non issue. There just isn't that much difference in terms of temperature, particularly once you begin the rod.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: November 25, 2016 12:12PM

X2 Tom. I haven't noticed any temperature issues with the CFX grips. I use them in cold and hot conditions. I find cork grips to be more slippery after handling a few fish or handling bait then grabbing grip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2016 01:00PM

The first day that Mudhole advertised the CFX grips I bought several split grips and fly grips to try. I coated all of them with permagloss which gave a very nice satin finish. These grips are on several of my personal rods, and I fish 3-5 times a week (sometimes more) throughout the year, and I have had no issues with them at all. Even though they get a lot of use they still look brand new. A very good product. For the fighting butt, you can use the recommended Eva butt cap, or any of the butt caps for Winn grips, or the Fuji rubberized cork butt cap for the 16 VSS grip. For some you may need to trim the tenon a little, but they all fit just fine. I think you will be happy with them.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2016 05:34PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-37-187-147.eu)
Date: November 25, 2016 05:01PM

Just FYI, for those that do not want to turn their own cores but do not mind skinning the carbon tubes onto a pre formed core, Pacbay has a nice selection of the pre formed cores.

Posted by: Trace Butkovich (72.173.251.---)
Date: November 26, 2016 12:08AM

When putting these grips on do you have to ream them like you would cork or do you choose the hole size when buying?

Date: November 26, 2016 12:22AM

The CFX grips need to be reamed to fit.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster