I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Convert Single Hand Rod to Switch Rod
Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 07:14PM

Should a single hand fiberglass rod be converted to a switch rod if the original rated line weight will be used? My question is whether it would be "safe" for the rod with two hand use. I realize it would not perform as well as a switch rod built and lined for two hand use.

To me, I don't see a problem ..... with the proper line and no double hand overhead casts for distance. It seems to me that the rod is moved at about the same speed with either one or two hands. The line would be lighter and thinner than a conventional switch rod line too. Having less mass to accelerate and less stick to the water the load on the rod might even be less. Also, the rod will not be exposed to the added stress of hauling when being used with two hands. I know most two hand rods are built heavier at the base, but they are also using heavier and thicker (more water load) line.

Many years ago, when switch rods were first coming out, I purchased a 10'-8", 7 wt from Batson. They specified that I was to use 7 wt, weight forward line. Switch rod lines were not available. No mention was made of using 2 or 3 line weights heavier that the rod rating as some manufacturer do today. I suspect this blank was just a conventional 7 wt. design, just longer. I still have it and no breaks. Does anyone know if it was "beefed up" to take any additional load due to casting with two hands?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Convert Single Hand Rod to Switch Rod
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 08:47PM

I would strip seat and grip off and install a REC RSLS seat with matching removable fighting butt hardware which will extend the rod length by 2".
Build a 5" lower grip and use male part of the REC butt hardware to attach. This way you will not have to worry about extending the grip towards the tip which would have put an excess load above the current grip which is your real risk.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 08:53PM

I assume you plan on extending the rod to accommodate the adding of the lower grip. Depending upon the rods action you may or may not be happy with it's performance if you intend to do Spey type casts, but it should be "safe".

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 08:57PM

Phil,
I agree.
I can not see any advantage to do this unless there is a physical issue
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster