I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay nylon thread
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.115.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 10:48AM

I've put Pac Bay nylon peach colored thread on the guidesof my recent build. I'm using size A thread and applied three coats of CP. Despite this I'm getting significant spots where the thread is completely dark, thereby ruining the wrap. I noticed the thread has a significant stretch when wrapping, more than any other I've ever used. I've cut the base first guide wrap off twice and re wrapped it, only to have the same thing happen. What are the likely causes of this and what can I do to eliminate this problem? I've never had this problem with any thread I've used before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay nylon thread
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 11:11AM

Mark

Hopefully, forum members who regularly use CP will have other ideas for you as I am an infrequent CP user and then it is for silk instead of nylon.

On those are occasions when I do use CP, I use Color Guard from Cane Clinic. Color Guard is an acrylic that I've had success using. Be warned it is a 2 day process that must be followed as per the instructions. Even then, yellows can be a challenge for reasons unknown to me.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 11:44AM

Light colored threads on a dark blank can be a problem, there is just not enough opacity to hold the solid color, even with CP. There have been a number of inquiries on this very issue, do a topic search for more information.

Posted by: bob welty (63.77.139.---)
Date: November 22, 2016 12:40PM

The same thing has been happening with me. I'm using the Flexcoat CP. The best solution I've found is to use a needle tip applicator bottle to inject the CP along the guide foot. I'll do this a couple times to ensure complete filling. Then I'll CP the whole wrap at least 4 times.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 12:59PM

One solution is to use dark thread for your wraps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 02:32PM

Are you sure that the dark is coming from the thread and not from the blank showing through between the threads? I suggest a test wrap on a scrap piece of blank of similar color. Do one with a wrap that is tightly wrapped and then tightly packed, and do one with your normal practice. Use the same 3 coats of CP, making sure of an overnight set time for each coat, and see what you get.

another thing that will help is to paint the blank under the wrap with a light color, but that is a pain in the butt.

What you are having trouble with is not unusual.

You're not using Casin's CP are you?

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: November 22, 2016 04:32PM

I have used CP since I started building rods over fifty years ago. I have not had problems with any CP except the ones that were some typs of Model Airplane lacquer. My rule is too always fill the tunnels along the guide feet first. I then use two coats (maybe three if I feel paranoid that day). Most recently I have used Color Lock and Chroma Seal, but my all time best was Gudebrod 811. This was as clear as water, applied very easily, and had the best color retention. You also did not need to stir it. While I understand that Gudebrod went out of business, I don't understand why someone has not bought the rights to their color preserver and put it back on the market.

I build fly rods mostly and use two color twist threads for my wraps and use a complementary color for the trim. Fox example if I use an orange/black wrap thread, I use a teal thread for the trim. With a red/black wrap, I use a sundown or sunrise yellow trim. ( I know my color combinations would not be the favorite of many, but as a builder, I get to satisfy my feelings of color choice). As a rule I will not wrap with light colors such as white or pale yellows. I just don't like the appearance--probably the dark color of the blank showing through.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: November 22, 2016 04:33PM

Sorry for my spelling error in my previous post.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 22, 2016 10:37PM

Don't use that color if you want to eliminate the problem. Good thing you didn't use the Sea Foam. That's worse. All the manufacturer's thread will have one or two colors that are tough to deal with. Pack like crazy, a bunch of CP and you still get blotches. Light colors over dark blanks will always be troublesome. Some builders paint the blank under the wraps. Waaaaaaaaay to much effort. I don't think the thread is the problem, almost all I use now is PacBay thread (they are local) . Lot's of other good colors to choose from.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.115.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 24, 2016 12:54AM

I believe the problem stems from the elastic nature of the thread. I used the same thread as an underwrap on the butt with no problems. The contact with the blank is good as well. The problem areas are between the top of the guide foot and when the thread meets the blank (In the tube). And never in the same place twice. I believe the tension on the thread is consistent against the blank but waivers enough to be inconsistent above the tube. I don't have this problem with any other light colored thread on dark blanks. I'm avoiding this color from now on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster