I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Renzetti rod lathe
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 09:25AM

Hello all,

First of all - HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
I am looking into upgrading my wrapper - Right now I have an American tackle with the upgraded aluminum chuck. I have a few questions about the Renzetti Craftsman.

1. When setting in front on the lathe - does turn away from you or towards you? - the one I have now turns away from me.
2. Does it have a drying motor on it or do you have to remove it for drying finish?
3. I think it comes with 2 - 3' beds, (6' total) do you guys that use them order an additional section so you can work on the ends of 7'-8' rod ?
4. does it have speed control on the wrapping motor? or do you have to buy the foot control to vary the speed?
5. as it comes with only to rod holder - do you guys (or ladies) feel you need 1 or 2 additional holders?

Any additional information, pros and cons, or habits I will have to change and get used to would be greatly appreciated!

Jon Hood

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti rod lathe
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2016 10:49AM

1. Turns towards you.

2. Does not have a drying motor included. You can adapt one if you like.

3. You need enough bed length so that you can work on the longest rod you plan to build. Otherwise you can always separate the beds and slide one out far enough to do what needs to be done, but in the long run I think it's better to have the longer bed length.

4. The foot control varies the speed. You cannot power wrap without it.

5. Depending on the length rods you plan to build, you will need more rod supports. I suggest 3 as the minimum.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 01:08PM

An example of a 100 rpm and a 1000 rpm DC motor that have been mounted up to use to power a new Renzetti lathe. The DC motor has the ability to easily reverse direction at the flip of a switch.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 22, 2016 02:16PM

Roger,
I assume that's why the renzetti lathe doesn't come with a motor.
do you have and photos of your lathe setup?

Thanks,

Jon Hood

Date: November 22, 2016 02:21PM

Renzetti can supply a variable speed DC motor.

Date: November 22, 2016 02:27PM

yes,
from what I see - I can order the lathe - then additionally order a motor, motor bracket, and foot operated control.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Eric Hanson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 08:41PM

You'll need the pulley as well. Would also recommend getting a spare belt.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 12:02AM

The reason I bought the Custom Power Wrapper instead, lathe quality parts, 8 ft of bed, the drying motor, motor, foot pedal, etc. were all included at a better price. It's also light enough to be portable when need be, needing to remove nothing, the drying motor, etc. is all permanently attached. Belts are downtown, no need to order special.

Date: November 23, 2016 05:25PM

Tom,
Do you have the Renzetti part number for the DC motor, the power supply and the foot pedal for the DC motor? I am unable to find it on the Renzetti web page.

Date: November 23, 2016 06:01PM

[www.renzetti.com]

Date: November 23, 2016 09:14PM

Tom,
Thanks for the link. However, this link only displays AC/DC motors, not a DC motor.

You thought that the company sells DC motors?

Thanks for your help.

Date: November 24, 2016 08:10AM

They do. The DC motors are variable speed. I like the 1/10 model which is what I have on both of mine.

Date: November 25, 2016 06:54PM

Tom,
If you indicated that the AC/DC 1/10th motor is used on DC voltage, what do you use for power?

Do you then have a reversing switch installed in the system to reverse the motor direction?

Thanks much

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster