I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Prowrap
Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 11:28PM

Well I got a Problem,
I just laid down 11" of metallic copper as my base
coat and still have about 6" to go, and guess what happens..
I get a knot where they pieced it together.. I am so frustrated
with this Prowrap China made crap, this is about the sixth
time it has happen.. and also some times I get metallic that
has fade spots in it... Has anyone had this problem also..

Glen

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prowrap
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 11:42PM

I quit using Prowrap because of the knot problem.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 22, 2016 03:47AM

How is the fuji metallic, Any one use it? How does it lay? And does it still fade like others? It seems most fade except the silver? Jaa

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 08:41AM

All thread gets knots..... I have had it happen with pretty much every brand.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 01:15PM

I have used quite a bit of power wrap with no knot issues at all.

In any event - if there are splice knots in the spool of thread, the thread should be returned for a double replacement. The manufacturer needs to realize that rod wrapping thread should never have splice knots on a spool.

Certainly no different than sewing machine thread on a spool. If you were to have splice knots in a spool of sewing machine thread, the thread would break when the knot hit the needle of the sewing machine.
No different for a fishing rod thread. When a builder hits a knot in the middle of a long wrap - the builder explodes and not the wrap - but it is just as troublesome.

I have to say that I have never had a knot issue in any spool of rod wrapping thread in many many different spools of thread by various manufacturers.

I have had a few spools of "fuzz" on the thread that caused me to pitch the spool of thread, but never an issue with knots.

But, if I did have a knot in a spool of thread, the thread spool would go right into the garbage to avoid ever hitting another knot on the spool.

Good luck

Posted by: chris newkirk (208.80.208.---)
Date: November 22, 2016 10:22PM

Yep, been there and done that. Had a few spools of not only Prowrap metallic, but also their nylon and ncp that had splice knots. As for the fading of metallics (mostly dark colors and red in my experience) I wish some sort of science, magic, or stars would align to fix that problem in the industry. I have a few factory built rods laying around that are several years old and the blue metallic thread hasn't faded enough to tell much at all. However, I can wrap a rod or sample piece with the same color using new metallic thread (brand doesn't seem to matter) and it fades terribly in just s few months.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 12:43AM

While admittedly new to wrapping, I have yet to discover a knot within a spool. If that occasion arrives, I will be extremely upset and, as Roger stated, demand a minimum of two replacements!!! But, then, is a knot within a free replacement spool any less aggravating?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2016 07:57AM

Gudebrod thread was notorious for having knots within a spool. When the larger spools that the smaller rod building spools were filled from ran out, a new bulk spool was installed, the thread tied and the process restarted. It wasn't rare to have one of these tied together segments run out on you as you were tying off the base on a decorative wrap, or in the middle of a weave. Frustrating to say the least.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (73.19.173.---)
Date: November 24, 2016 11:54AM

So if the manufacturer is wrapping thread on a spool and a need for a knot is due how much can it possibly cost to throw that spool away and start a new one????? I guess i am lucky it has only happened to me once or twice but as you say it is frustrating to say the least.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (73.19.173.---)
Date: November 24, 2016 11:54AM

So if the manufacturer is wrapping thread on a spool and a need for a knot is due how much can it possibly cost to throw that spool away and start a new one????? I guess i am lucky it has only happened to me once or twice but as you say it is frustrating to say the least.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster