I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying Decals Without the Edges Lifting
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 07:26PM

There have been a number of previous posts regarding peel-and-stick decals and their tendency for the edges to lift after thread epoxy is applied resulting in quite a few methods to eliminate the problem. I must have been lucky with the first few as no issues were encountered until attempting to speed up the curing time by placing the rod, thread finish about ¾ cured, in my composite oven at 120 degrees. While still useable, if I have light reflecting just right on the finish surface, I can detect one part of the decal edge wanting to lift.
Many of you have developed and shared very good methods of applying decals, the use of CP, pre-forming to the rod diameter, thread wrapping overnight and others. I utilized all of your gracious sharing to develop my method which has worked exceptionally well for the last dozen or so. I do not care for CP in general but liked the idea of thread wrapping the decal overnight, except for the possibility of leaving indentations in the decal from the thread. Admittedly, I never actually used thread to wrap the decal and the indentations would probably not show through the epoxy finish. First and foremost, I trim the decal close to the image in a curved fashion to avoid any sharp corners. Using the wrapping theory, I cut 1/2in wide strips of 2 or 3 mil regular plastic sheeting, tape one end to the rod, tightly spiral wrap over the decal overlapping half of each strip, tape down the end and let set overnight. A substantial amount of constrictive force can be applied but I still use the back of my fingernail as well. Even with the porosity of these vintage FG blanks, I have had no problems. But I DO keep them out of the composite oven!
Hope it helps someone. After all, many of you have helped me!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying Decals Without the Edges Lifting
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 02:39PM

A way to get the same effect as a thread wrap without any ridges from the thread is to wrap the area with tightly pulled/stretched electrical tape OVER AN INSULATING SHEET OF THIN PAPER.

If you have minor lifting after epoxy you usually can sand that off and apply another coat. The decal won't come off and the edge will be hidden. If the decal is printed on white media, if you sand through to the media it will show white.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 05:25PM

This topic is a constant one, coming up every few months. Lots of thread can be found with a search.

I have been building rods for years using Decal Connection Peel & Stick labels and have never had an edge lift, even slightly.

My process is to apply a thin coat of wrap epoxy on the blank surface, then wait just until it will no longer finger print, then apply the label, and burnishing it well before lifting the cover sheet. I then can apply the covering coat at once or later.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 06:33PM

I use a small rubber roller to "burnish" the decal to the blank, and then apply a coat of Krylon fixatiff. Always works for me! (The roller has a name, but I can't recall it - it's used in relation to transfer printing etc.)
Rog

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2016 12:57AM

Thanks for the replies in hope of assisting others plagued with decal issues.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: November 23, 2016 01:13PM

Flex Coat CP over a decal (or Madiera) prevents finish problems. Simple as that. Chromaseal doesn't work well for that since it doesn't seem to have to adhesive properties that FC does. I do, however, prefer Chromaseal on threads because it soaks in better, thus less prone to blotching.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Ernie E Swanson (---.open.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 26, 2016 09:51AM

Use a rubber roller, Also called a brayer to roll over the decal.
I then apply CP around the edges. I have some that I know wont stick well and I use I light coat
of clear top coat fingernail polish around the edges. No issues yet.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: December 03, 2016 07:04PM

I just got my decals today from Decal Connection. I'm going to have to try out some of these processes on my next rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster