I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What I would like for Christmas from the sponsors.
Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 03:33PM

As a small time hobbiest who only builds a couple of rods a year, there is one thing that I wish all of the manufacturers offered which would really help me out. That is if I could buy assortments of tip tops and winding checks (for that matter it would be nice to get a bulk assortment of guides, too). But the tip-tops and winding checks especially because I first have to order the blank before I know what size tip goes on it, and I never know what size winding check until I have it all laid up. If I had an assortment in my tool kit, I could put a rod together in one sitting, but as it is, I have to lay it up and then order the fiddly bits, which is both time consuming and expensive. Same goes for when my friends drop their rods by to get fixed - if I had the parts on hand, I could put them together in a sitting. Closest I've come is some tip top repair kits which I've ordered.

Anyway, just a thought.

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What I would like for Christmas from the sponsors.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2016 05:07PM

You could also assemble your own "kits" by ordering a few multiples of the sizes you most often need. Just a thought.

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 05:11PM

I did just this, but I build everything from 3wts to Spey rods.

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 09:42PM

Have the dealer you buy the blank from also size a tip top and winding check and send them along.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2016 10:42AM

jon,

I finally bit the bullet and bought a supply of winding checks, (pretty large investment), and a bunch of tip tops. I still find that I don't seem to have the ring size tip top tube or ring size in stock when I am building or repairing a rod. 'end up having to wait on the shipment from a vendor, but such is life!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 06:41PM

I'd like to see some reasonably, priced, well engineered, open ended hook keepers. Almost every guide manufacturer seems to be behind in this area. I agree about the winding checks!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 06:58PM

Lynn - I agree with you about hook keepers. I started making my own from stainless wire about 12 years ago. They have become very popular with the people I know. In fact, A couple of pro fisherman had me put them on all thier bass rods. I have recently seen this design showing up on some high end commercial rods. Not sure how to post a picture here but will email you a picture if you wish. They are very easy to make needing only a couples of inches of wire and wire forming pliers. Thus costing just pennies to make.
Norm

Date: November 22, 2016 04:52PM

Thanks Norman, I sent you an e-mail. Lynn

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2016 05:49PM

Lynn - Did not get your message, please try again or un hide you email.
Norm

Date: November 22, 2016 05:59PM

Norm, e-mail unhidden

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2016 05:37AM

Drop shot hook keepers work great for any type of bait. Quick and easy to use, and only require one wrap.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: November 29, 2016 01:50PM

Lynn Behler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to see some reasonably, priced, well
> engineered, open ended hook keepers. Almost every
> guide manufacturer seems to be behind in this
> area. I agree about the winding checks!

Lynn have you gone to Hydra (sponsor) and looked at the Kigan XLA hook keepers? The work very well.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster