I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Wrapper Age and Experience
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 02:46PM

I started at 12 replacing guides and re-wrapping some junk rods. That was in 1967 and continued until I built my first rod 3 years later. I built for myself as a quasi business venture as well as a number of stores in the area. Now,I wrap what projects for myself and others as I wish to. I am a mere 62 years old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 03:23PM

A little over 50 and wrapping for a little more than 30 years (but only for myself and friends except for the last 3 years).

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 06:36PM

Started fishing when I was 8, wrapped first rod with my dad when I was 14, really picked up building in 1980, specialize in fly rods, single and two hand. Sideline of making exotic grips form imported woods, especially burls along with Birch bark and carbon fiber.

I do not build "on the cheap" go to Walmart if price is your criteria!

OH, I just turned 80, and still fly fish all over, off to Patagonia on December 6.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 06:36PM

I'm 63 and rodbuilding has been my hobby for about the last 15 years. I build mainly for friends and family (and there seems to be an awful lot of friends and family) and every once in a while I get to finish a rod for myself! I would hope to get the opportunity to someday share my building experience with a younger guy or girl (teen ?), and at least teach them to avoid all of the "mistakes" that I have made building the last 35 or 40 rods!
Rog

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 06:41PM

I am approaching 42, been building for about 5 years. And I do have little ones (almost 2, 5 & 7). But I can see how they could put a damper on building. Been blessed to build the older 2 a couple of rods already and hope to keep doing so for years. Hopefully they will pick up the craft when they get just a little older (but they already have a passion for fishing.)

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 06:44PM

Steve Monroe, you're hooked!!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 09:14PM

Thanks to all (you old fa*ts) responding. Your replies seem to mimic Tom’s information. Speaking of Tom, his mention of there being ”… so many other activities vying for kids attention” is precisely why I would like to see all of us exposing kids to fabrication of some sort rather than a stink’n cell phone or video game. If I sound like an old fa*t, it is simply because I am.
Jay McKnight is my kind of guy, at age 14 building a rod from a broken FG car antenna. Now that’s resourceful! It is a shame it was “accidently” destroyed.
Trace Butkovich, who you callin’ old? Welcome aboard. Nice to see there are exceptions to Tom’s information.
Lynn Behler, glad to hear of your sickness, it couldn’t have happen to a nicer guy.
Tom Schotsman, another young whipper-snapper for us old fa*ts to pass stuff onto.
Please do not be offended if your name was not mentioned. I recognize many from post on the site and there are some interesting stories within your replies. Hopefully others enjoy reading them as much as I.

<<< I profoundly appreciate wrapping immensely more than rapping >>>

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 09:57PM

Mark, although many of us have more years behind us than in front of us, it seems that many of us started building rods when we were much younger and well before the age of 45. So in this respect we only partially fit Tom's demographic analysis, and that it the old part! Most rod builders I know love everything fishing and enjoy working with their hands. They do this for both relaxation and the satisfaction of making something special. Unfortunately that demographic appears to be shrinking.
Norm

Date: November 21, 2016 10:50PM

Norman,
When most of us veterans were sub 20, there were no cell phones or video games “vying for our attention”. We all ran around, exercising by playing ball-and-stick games which is much more physically healthy, and built models and other cool stuff rather than the present computer type activities vying for kids attention. As I stated earlier, Technology advancement is of great importance, but with that comes an obligation to preserve old-school craftsmanship which, in itself, encourages technology advancement. Rod building for relaxation? Impossible! I am so excited with my new rod fabrication experience that my panties are all in a bunch!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 11:20PM

Exactly what I was alluding to, times have changed! Outdoor activities amoung the young are not as popular now as they were in our day. Could be a reason most rod builders are older. Of course rod building is relaxing. Do think of work or other things when you are building a rod? I think I made my point!
Norm

Date: November 22, 2016 01:07AM

Touché, Norman

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (12.252.36.---)
Date: November 22, 2016 01:29PM

I'm 58 and I hope that within a month from now I would have built my first. The first will be for my brother-in-law. The next few will be for my boys who love to fish. No better way for your kids to think about Dear old Dad when they're doing something that they love to do with a rod built by dad in their hands. PS. I love the website. Thanks guys.

Date: November 23, 2016 01:09AM

Larry,
While you are fortunate to have fishing kids to build rods for, they are equally as fortunate to have an active father to build them one. They will cherish them forever and hopefully spark incentive to fabricate their own, but nothing will ever be as cool to them as the one Dad built!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (12.252.36.---)
Date: November 23, 2016 10:14AM

Thanks Mark. My thoughts exactly.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster