I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle Length
Posted by: Dave Damon (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: November 19, 2016 12:12AM

Gents, I have a question regarding cork handle lengths on 7' bass rods, casting and spinning. I have built quite a few Switch rods and I generally use an upper cork handle that matched the length of the blank 10.5-11" handle on a 11' blank, with an approx 4.5" on the lower. I'm building a couple of bass rods, one casting and one spinning with cork handles and was wondering what the best length for a 7' blank. 10-17lb, Fast, MH. Is there a general rule for the length of the handle on these types of blanks? Thx Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle Length
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: November 19, 2016 01:10AM

For a 7' bass rod, a 9" handle should be fine, I usually measure out 14"-14.5" from the butt to the top of the reel seat. Im assuming casting, not spinning.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2016 01:50AM

I agree with Nick. 9" is fine for a 7' casting rod. That length shouldn't cause any problems, regardless of the presentation being used.

As for spinning rods, since the reel seat can be installed either up locking or down locking, I use where the reel stem falls as the basis for the measurement. I built a 6'10" spinning rod with a measurement of 11 3/4" from butt to the middle of the reel stem, and it works very well.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: November 19, 2016 02:34AM

It's personal preference, I like short handle.
For UL to M (sometime MH) spinning rod I like 9" to 10" from butt to reel seat stem.

Take care only 1'" make a huge different feel for me.

Posted by: Dave Damon (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: November 19, 2016 01:39PM

Thx for the replies. I guess as far as a spinning rod goes, it's mostly what feels right for you. I measured from the stem to the meat of my forearm is about 11.5". Wasn't sure if there was a rule of thumb that applies.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 19, 2016 03:45PM

The distance from the grip (the hand) to the butt may be as short as you want, but it can get too long and tangle the butt in the clothing at the elbow. Make sure this is considered. It can be different for different anglers' dimensions and prefernces.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 19, 2016 03:45PM

The distance from the grip (the hand) to the butt may be as short as you want, but it can get too long and tangle the butt in the clothing at the elbow. Make sure this is considered. It can be different for different anglers' dimensions and prefernces.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2016 11:26PM

Dave, as you can see, there is no general rule of thumb. You even see differences in factory rods, which are pretty much built as one size fits all. But one size doesn't fit all. Differences in body type, differences in the type of clothing worn in different kinds of weather, and differences in how anglers performs specific techniques are all part of determining rear grip length.

For instance, the measurement I referenced for the 6'10" spinning rod I built, is most likely longer than what most people would use on that length of rod. I built it with that length grip because of the way I hold and use the rod when fishing a drop shot. Most of my drop shot fishing is vertical. I hold the rod parallel to the water and lift the rod to set the hook. When the rod starts to pivot towards the tip under the weight of a fish, the butt comes in contact with the bottom of my forearm. I feel it gives me more lifting power and a more positive hook set.

Were I building a spinning rod for pitching and skipping baits under docks n such, I would have built it with a shorter rear grip.

That's what I love about building my own rods, I can build them to fit my own idiosyncrasies and personal preferences.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 12:13PM

David is absolutely correct, build it the way you like it. This is one of things that makes a custom rod custom.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster