I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Balance
Posted by: Will Cooper (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2016 07:48PM

Im curious how important you guys feel having the rod balance at the reel stem is? I just finished up a light 9' surf rod for myself. In order to get the rod to balance at the reel stem I needed to add about 6.5oz off the butt end. The rod its self weight 7.4oz. Is it worth almost doubling the weight to balance the rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Balance
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2016 08:02PM

No.
Norm

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2016 08:06PM

I've stuffed lead and epoxy into a few bait casting rod butts. Not a proud thing. Every time I think about it it feels like I need a shower. I vote no.

Posted by: Will Cooper (---.parexel.com)
Date: November 17, 2016 06:06AM

My thoughts exactly, thx guys.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2016 10:20AM

Will,
Move the reel seat forward 6 inches and the rod will balance fine.

When casting, just cast from the end of the rod to get the length needed when casting and you will be good to go.

Very common practice to do this for very long rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Will Cooper (---.parexel.com)
Date: November 17, 2016 10:30AM

I thought about moving the seat, but didnt want to be dealing with 2ft of rod behind the reel. I know thats pretty standard for surf rods. But not what i was looking to do.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: November 17, 2016 11:10AM

A 9' surf rod doesn't need 2' butt section. What size reel are you using and are you trying to balance it with the reel mounted? My 9' surf rods have a 15-18" (unless the buyer wants more) butt section and with the reel mounted are well balanced. Adding weight to balance a rod seems absurd to me... especially 6 Oz. The longer the rod the more energy needed to cast, hold, and work the lure. Adding weight is forcing you to use more energy. Grip material weight, guide weight, and reel choice all play a part in the balance. Work on building a balanced rod. Good luck.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2016 11:18AM

Long rods are inherently tip heavy. Classic ways to try and balance them, within reason, are to add weight to the butt, increase handle length, or lighten the guide train. Fly rods usually balance nicely because of the light guides and the reel being located at the very end of the rod this is not the case with spinning or casting rods. When you try to balance a long rod you are always faced with trade offs where you exchange one problem for another, Balance is not a necessary component for a surf rod, it is much more important to keep it as light and comfortable as possible and this will enhance overall performance.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 17, 2016 01:49PM

I don't think distance surf casters worry whether or not their rods balance at the reel stem. What specific, measurable advantage do you foresee by having your rod balance at the reel stem?

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: November 18, 2016 03:16PM

Phil, the advantage I see is when I hold the rod by the reel seat to walk the dog or bucktailing. It's lighter in the hand and doesn't wear me out when fishing for hours. I use 9' rods for that type of surf casting and I build with a shorter butt section so it doesn't get in the way. They tend to be well balanced. When I plug in surf I will use a longer rod with a longer butt section and hold the grip instead of holding the reel seat. I also flip the reel seat so the threads are forward when I hold the seat to fish. Rods where I hold the grip I mount the seat with threads towards the butt. I have a tendency to loosen the seat if I don't install that way. I've found some customers prefer that as well. Best. MH

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 18, 2016 05:27PM

Mike, when you put a plug or a jig weighing several ounces on your line and add the "weight" of water resistance as you retrieve the balance point of your rod has to move forward quite a way. Would it be beneficial to add enough weight to your rod butt to compensate for this added weight and drag? That would put your balance point several inches behind the reel stem.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: November 18, 2016 08:39PM

I see your point but I don't cast several ounces with my 9' rods. I cast 3/8- 1 1/4 Oz lures. Plugging rods I'll use 1-2 1/2 Oz. Rarely use more then that. On those rods I build with a longer butt so I can brace it between my legs so the weight is more vertical and I use my body to counter the drag on the lure. Adding weight to the butt will make the rod heavier in my hand. I do see your point and can see how adding weight can beneficial for certain applications. I just haven't felt the need to add any weight. I appreciate your response. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2016 11:36PM

I am a huge proponent of adding weight to a rod in order to have a balanced rod and reel combination for certain techniques. Those techniques being ones that involve slack, or semi slack line.

With that said, there is no way I would almost double the weight of a rod to ensure that balance. I think doing so would lead to a classic case of diminishing returns.

As for taking lure weight, the lure's water resistance, as well a myriad of other factors into consideration when trying to balance a rod and reel combination?

Wanna talk about something that's immeasurable?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster