I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loose Ferrule
Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 12:50AM

Just for the record, I'm sure this has been covered before, and I did search for it, but just didn't find it, so please forgive me if this is redundant.
I'm sure many of you can relate: as a rod builder, all of a sudden I have become a rod repairer for all of my friends. I need to clear my bench of other people's rods so I can build my own!
Okay, venting aside.
One of the rods is a 2-piece fiberglass 5 weight and the two sections do not join positively. I'm thinking of coating the male end with RodBond or thread epoxy and sanding to fit, but before I go all creative on it, I'm wondering if there is a more established method of fixing this.
As always, thank you for your time and patience.

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loose Ferrule
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 04:03AM

there is a article in a back issue of RODMAKER MAGAZINE on just that problem, I can't give the date but some one give it to you , if you don't have it I feel sure you can get most back issues
from TOM KIKMAN the man that runs this web site

William Sidney
AK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 04:07AM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2016 07:26AM

Trimming from one section or the other is the real fix, but I'd have to know what type ferrule it is and which end is bottoming out.

Now if it is one of the el-cheapo tip-into-butt types it'll be harder to fix properly.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 11:47AM

Tip into butt ferrules can be found on the more expensive blanks made in the UK. Century blanks (TTR) can sell for $800 and they have tip into butt fittings. These blanks have set distance casting records.

The best example would be a 70/30 plugging rod where the reel seat fits around the female section to enhance the blanks power.

Anything can be made "el-cheapo" or priceless. ;)

Don Becker

Date: November 15, 2016 01:32PM

I'm talking about the discount store rods. Those type tip-into-butt ferrules are based on a poor design and are not easy to fix, and even when "fixed" tend to repeat the wear process all over again.

Posted by: jon tobey (144.160.130.---)
Date: November 15, 2016 01:36PM

I don't know what you mean by "tip-into-but" it's a typical male-female connection. The male side is um, under endowed girth wise, It looks like a custom built rod on a blank I'm not familiar with.

Date: November 15, 2016 02:24PM

Is the male end on the butt or tip section?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 02:25PM

If it is not a metal ferrule and is fiberglass type of ferrule where the tip section fits over butt section, then shave male part of the ferrule back a little, which will make it slightly larger in diameter, without changing the taper. If the internal tapers of the two sections matched over a long distance then you would not have this problem because as the ferrule wears the two section just oner lap more. Since the male part is bottoming out on the female part it means that the taper of female section only matches over the length of the ferrule itself. So trimming the male section should get it to fit again. When I say trim I mean just a little at a time. Filing or sanding works very well where you just remove a small amounts at a time, a 1/10 of an inch may be all that you need. Have done this before on some older blanks where the internal taper of female part of the ferrule steps down rather quickly. Hope I explained this ok, if not ask again and try to explain better.
Edit - If it is a spigot type of ferrule may need to trim back on the female side to decrease it's diameter.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 02:32PM by Norman Miller.

Date: November 15, 2016 02:31PM

That is a great input. It seems just loose all over, but I will look at that as soon as I get home and get back to you. Thanks!

Date: November 15, 2016 02:32PM

Butt.

Date: November 15, 2016 03:09PM

Then it sounds like a tip-over-butt ferrule. If the butt is bottoming out too early in the tip, the fix is to slightly shorten the male ferrule by trimming a tad from the top of it. If it is bottoming at the end of the female portion, then the fix is to trim a bit from the bottom of the female ferrule.

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 11:00PM

That was way too easy! Thank you everybody. I would've worked way too hard on this!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 11:17PM

Glad it worked!
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 11:44PM

Norman and Tom ,and others too, have saved me a lot of work and time as well. All that is required is simply asking. Many people within this sight are knowledgable and willing to to take the time to share.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster