I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hover blank
Posted by: Trace Butkovich (107.77.97.---)
Date: November 14, 2016 11:00PM

Ok another question for you guys, I'd like to build my father in law a rod for hover fishing in the Columbia River. The blank I need needs to be sensitive enough to feel the bite and be able to handle a 3-5 oz weight with 20 to 30# braided line. Not so sure about the action because I'm still not to familiar with that, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

Also any tips and tricks on spiral wrapping would help a lot to.

Thanks, Trace Butkovich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hover blank
Date: November 14, 2016 11:04PM

The fish we will mostly be targeting is chinook salmon.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.36.---)
Date: November 15, 2016 11:41AM

Hover fishing is usually done in frog water with medium power 7 1/2 to 8 ft. Hotshot blanks, and rarely over 2 oz. of weight.
You must be fishing heavier water like the Bonneville Dam pool, or similar area to need that much weight. I'd call or email the Batson clan and see if their XBB964 would work, I know the XBB962 would and they discontinued it because the difference in the blanks was minimal, I've heard.
I had some good Lamiglas suggestions, but they discontinued a bunch of blanks.
Let us know how it goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 11:47AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: November 15, 2016 03:42PM

Sweet thanks, how about ideas for spiraling your guides. how does a guy position his eyes so the line don't bunch up on one side of the casting reel or is that even a problem?

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 15, 2016 04:44PM

We don’t hear a whole lot about hover fishing on the Columbia (though we know the river well) but these would be our RainShadow Rod Blank recommendations:

RX7 HS962 1-Piece and HS1023 2-Piece - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

RX4 BP1024 2-Piece which you can also use as a Downrigger - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

As far as Spiral Wrap goes, typically we start the first guide at 10-20 degrees, then to 40, 90, 140 and finally the full 180 degrees. Though always static test before fully wrapping as every blank is different.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 10:56AM by James Taylor.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 08:06PM

Double post.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 08:10PM

Trace,
For the most part, the level wind does a decent job of keeping the line from stacking on you. I imagine there could be rare occasions, but they have not happened to me and all my steelhead and salmon rods are spiral wrapped going on 15+ years.
I start with the first guide from the reel in the 0 deg. position though and progress equally to the bottom as described before.

Date: November 15, 2016 08:16PM

thanks for the help!

Date: November 15, 2016 11:27PM

Still trying to get some terminology down to, are the guides towards the end of casting rods called micro guides or is there a better guide to use to keep the line a little off the blank?

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: November 16, 2016 12:26AM

Micros are super tiny. If you're using a heavy mono leader and need to pass the knot with 30lb braid, I'd pass on those. Look on mud hole, they used to have an image of a micro sitting on top of a penny for reference. May still be there.

Date: November 16, 2016 01:13AM

Thanks randy, what would you recommend instead of micros or when I order a smaller ring size do they just automatically shrink height wise to and change to single foot? Probably making it more confusing then it really is????

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2016 10:24AM

Since you will be doing a spiral wrap, the guides on the tip section of the rod will be facing down like those on a spinning rod. Thus the height of the guide needed to keep line off the blank becomes a moot point. You can use either single or double foot guides for your runners and a size 6 runner will work just fine for what you are doing. They a large enough to pass any knot you use and small enough to lighten the tip section when compared to larger runners. Micro guides are usually thought of as guides smaller than a size 6 (5.5 - 3). Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.36.---)
Date: November 16, 2016 10:56AM

Trace,
Since we salmon anglers don't pass knots through our guides it's not important. We use swivels, or direct tie our rigs so we only have to concern ourselves with the durability of the tip top if we are so are prone to reeling our swivel or lure into the tip, this can damage the tip top over time. When you see a tip top without the ceramic ring in it and no other apparent damage you've met one of these persons probably.
Your rod will also be used strictly presenting weight and bait vertically along side the boat so casting performance is not paramount. If you use it to pull plugs as it was designed, again casting isn't important.
So with this presentation, weight and bait a few feet off the bottom, in water usually 12 to 25 ft. deep, in water with little or no current, sensitivity and a light tip are important, you want to know the fish is there before he knows you are about to cross his eyes.
A 6mm F style single foot guide that you see on many rods over the last 20 years is 6 times heavier than a 3 mm version, Batson built a XBB 962 backbouncing rod on spiral wrapped micro guides and have used it extensively, they would be a great source of first hand info and the guides they used.
Gary Loomis was putting guides down to 4mm on some of his steelhead personal and factory rods 30+ years ago, this is not new stuff in the Pacific Northwest.
I personally use them on my rods and have two build styles, one where rough use is likely and the one I use on my own rods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 11:19AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: November 16, 2016 08:30PM

Hey thanks for the info Norman and Spencer been a huge help! And your right about the whole passing a knot through the guides never knew people did that till I joined this message board.

Thanks again, Trace.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2016 09:05PM

The nice thing about microguides is that they do make the rod lighter and more responsive with few draw backs. With that said I do not personally go below a size 4 runner. When you go smaller unexpected problems begin to pop up. These problems range from threading line through them, icing in cold weather, debris build up, and fragility amoung others. I have broken size 3 micros just grabbing the rod. So in my opinion micro guides are great but do not go really small, they are not worth the aggravation.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster