I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat
Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 05:59PM

Hello everyone,
well I have question about flex coat.
I am building a warmer box to keep my
flex coat in to keep it warm year round..
My question is what temp. do I need to keep
it at so it don't break down...
Thanks for all help.

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 06:30PM

i,m sorry, but i just got to say it....who dreams up this stuff?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 06:34PM

If you mean preventing crystallization, then any temperature above 75 F should help to keep the epoxy resin from crystallizing. Crystallization of epoxy resin has nothing to do with breaking down it is a common thing that happens at lower temps and even at moderate temps. The more pure the resin is the better chance for it to crystallize. This phenomenon is completely reversible by reheating, and does not harm the resin one bit. Crystallization is more of an inconvenience than a problem.
Norm

Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 06:58PM

Well Ben
I don't know what your trying to say,
but for as flex coat goes, it does crystallize
and its a pain to heat it up.. Thanks Norm,
I didn't know if I got it to hot that it wouldn't
break down the elements in flex coat.. I was thinking
about 78 F to keep it nice and warm so that I will
have less bubbles when I'm mixing it.. The way I
have been doing the last 15 years or so I have put
my syringes in hot water to warm it up, So figure if
I build me a warm box and I wouldn't have to do the
the hot water to warm my flex coat up.. Once again
thanks
Glen

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 07:26PM

i stand corrected...thanks.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 09:56PM

I have no issues with any of my finishes, and the room stays at a common temp of 78 in the summer, and 72 to 74 in the winter

Ron Weber

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 13, 2016 10:18PM

If you simply keep it inside your home at room temp, it shouldn't crystalize. I have no idea what your situation is, but the answer may be as simple as storing it in your home instead of a cool basement or garage.

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sub-70-213-13.myvzw.com)
Date: November 14, 2016 08:32AM

I put it in the microwave for a few seconds if it's cold or crystallized just not too long or the container will melt.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2016 08:42AM

I agree that a warming box may be a good idea.

However, I would just suggest that the power to the warming box be turned off when not doing any rod building, or overnight. No need to burn electricity if nothing is going to be used from the coating.

Just have a thermostat that turns off at 76 and turns on at 73 and you should be good to go.

Be safe

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-197.myvzw.com)
Date: November 14, 2016 10:20AM

We don't recommend keeping Flex Coat in a "warmer" year round or all the time. Store the Flex Coat in a temperature controlled environment (no warmer than 78° if possible) and warm it prior to mixing. We like to warm it to about 90°F or warm to the touch prior to mixing. Warming the finish prior to mixing makes it easy to measure, shortens mixing time, and inhibits the formation of bubbles while mixing.

We always pour the mixture out on a paper plate covered with aluminum foil to extend the pot life. There is a huge difference between finish mixed 99% and finish mixed 100%. Watch our video on mixing Flex Coat at the link below:
[www.flexcoat.com]

Keeping any epoxy in a warmer all the time will cause the shelf life to shorten dramatically.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster