I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size 6 Aconites with braided lines?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 12, 2016 05:33PM

Hi all,

I'm "repurposing" a steelhead blank for carp fishing. The running guides for the blank are Fuji Alconites, BYAGs in a size 6. I plan on using some braided line with this rod, probably a 17.5 braid with a 10-12 pound mono leader.

I've never used braided lines before so was wondering if the size 6's would be too small for the braid-mono knot or if Alconites are a bad choice due to line wear and I should use another guide with a different ring material.

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size 6 Aconites with braided lines?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 12, 2016 06:03PM

Size 6 running guides are large and will allow any braid to mono knot to pass. The smallest and strongest braid to mono/fluoro knot is the FG knot, it is well worth learning how to tie it properly. Alconite is extremely hard and will not be cut by braid nor will it damage the braid. You can not cut nor even scratch alconite with a hacksaw blade or a metal file. Thus braid will do no harm to it at all. I use braid all the time and like the way it handles; it certainly cast further than mono.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 12, 2016 06:43PM

Thanks Norm for the input about the guides and also the FG knot. I'll look it up and learn to tie it as suggested.

Tom.

Date: November 12, 2016 07:10PM

Tom - I hope you have your BYAG size 6 guides on hand because I do not think they are being sold by Fuji anymore. The BYAG has been replaced by a BLYAG which only goes down to a size 8. Some retailers may still have some BYAG 6s in stock, if not you could use BLVAG 6s or BLAG 6s for runners. Another option is to switch over to Fuji KR concept guides.
Norm

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 07:17AM

I use a uni knot and many of my rods have 2,3,and 4 size guides. I've never heard of an fg knot until now. Just watched a video, very cool. The one problem with the uni knot is if you tighten the braid end first you will not be able to tighten the mono, or flouro end. Hope this helps

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 10:13AM

An alternative to the FG is the Alberto which comes in almost as small as the FG and I find it much easier to tie with lighter line like what you'll be using. I'm not the most proficient with the FG and I know there are lots of people who can tie a good FG with light line, but if you're on the water an Alberto will be much easier to tie and nearly as small.

I use braid on all 3 of my Tatula rods which have Alconites and I haven't seen any wear on the guides not on the line, those puppies are super slick!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 11:58AM

The FG knot should be "set" VERY hard before tying the braid half hitches. If you cannot set it with a very hard pull, you haven't done it right and it won't hold. It is harder to tie with light leaders, so when size is less important, I use the double uni. Many are big fans of the Alberto, but for some reason I find a way to tie it wrong and it often comes apart. I think the issue is getting the line tag end to out adjacent to the line coming in, just out instead of in.

Some time after you tie a good FG, cut it apart and look at the leader appearance. You'll find that the leader is permanently deformed by the braid weave, resulting in an actual mechanical linking of the braid with the weaves. But you have to really "set" it to get that to happen.

I think the KR guides are a very good choice, and they will easily stand up for what you want to do (2 or 3 KB's (bigger foot-same ring) mid rod).

Posted by: Caleb Roberts (107.72.164.---)
Date: November 13, 2016 12:50PM

The alconites are great with braded line. I use powerpro 15 and 20lb on most of my inshore gear and the guides do great. Size 6 is the smallest I would go for passing knots through, but as long as they're tied down tight they fly through with no problem. As stated above, the fg knot is a great one. Try the KB guides they are (in my opinion) better built than byag.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2016 03:10PM

An even better solution to the braid to leader knot is to NOT use a leader.

In many waters for many fisheries, there is absolutely no need for a leader on the end of a line of braid.

If so, just tie the lure or hook directly on the end of the braid - and enjoy catching fish with no leader and no braid to leader knot.

If in doubt - tie identical lures on the ends of two rods and lines. One with a leader and one without on the end of braided line. Then, fish both rods at the same time by two folks in the same place and verify to see if there is any difference in fish hook ups by the use of a leader on the line. The only way to know for sure, is to test and compare.

Be safe

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (63.88.70.---)
Date: November 15, 2016 06:07PM

I use 20 and 30 lb Power Pro attached to co-polymer leaders (anywhere from 8 lb to 14 lb) with a double uni knot. A well tied knot will have no difficulty passing through a #5 ring, or even a #4.5 ring. You'll be more than fine with a #6. I don't think it makes a bit of difference but I use Alps RRD running guides instead of Fuji.
Slainte!

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Date: November 15, 2016 08:20PM

There are a number of reasons for using a mono/fluoro leader with braid, besides perceived invisability. One is that mono/fluoro is stiffer than braid which helps to prevent the line tangling with the casted lure. It also allows one to work a top water lure or jerk bait better. Mono/Fluoro is also more abrasion resistant than braid allowing less retying of lures. Also braid cost more than mono or fluro so by using a leader your braided line last longer before you need to replace it, I.e. you are cutting back the leader rather than the braid when you change lures. The leader also gives some shock absorption when setting the hook or fighting a fish. In my opinion, braid casts better, handles better, and feels better than either mono or fluorocarbon alone. Thus, for me the use of a leader improves the overall functionally of braided line. There is also no question in my mind that the FG knots is the best braid to mono/fluorocarbon knot out there. There is no other knot out there that can match its diameter or strength. Believe me I have tried them all, I am a knot junkie.
Norm

Posted by: John Allgood (216.201.245.---)
Date: November 16, 2016 08:01AM

I agree with Norm for reasons to use a leader with braid. I have been using braid exclusively since 1995. I fish soft plastics a lot and the 'feel and sensitivity' achieved with braid is amazing. BUT when I first started using braid, I experienced line breaks while fighting fish with no leader. When I started using a leader, the line breaks stopped.

With braid, when you run the line between your fingers, you cannot feel nicks and breaks in the individual fibers. With a monofilament leader you can feel the nicks easily by running the line between your fingers. When I feel any nicks at all, I retie. No more unexpected line breaks.

Norm's point that the braid is protected by the leader is very significant. The cost difference for braid is substantial and a leader helps make that line investment last a lot longer.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 08:31AM by John Allgood.

Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 08:29AM by John Allgood.

Sorry

Date: November 16, 2016 08:03AM

Sorry. Double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 08:04AM by John Allgood.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster