I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why is my thread tearing when pulling back under wrap?
Posted by: Steve Colvin (---.knology.net)
Date: November 12, 2016 09:54AM

I am a newbie and working on my first rod. Been doing some practice wraps to get the hang of it. Most of the time when I pull the final thread back under the wrap, it doesn't want to go, tears, and looks like crap. I am using Pro Wrap Size D thread on a CRB wrapper, with the tension rod at about 90 degrees.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is my thread tearing when pulling back under wrap?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2016 10:01AM

My first guess would be you have too much thread tension on the wrap, also the pull through loop should be under maybe 3 - 5 wraps or so. When you finish the wrap, the guide should still be pretty easy to move under the wrap so you can align the guides before applying finish.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2016 10:51AM

As Spencer indicates above, 3 -5 wraps are all you need to secure the thread. I also trim the thread tag end to a bout 1-2 inches in length before pulling under to minimize the raveling of the thread...especially true if you are wrapping with metallic thread.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 12, 2016 11:34AM

Steve

As Spencer and Don advise, it is most probably an excess thread tension issue, so back off the tension just a bit.

Here is an alternative to locking the wrap tag under 3 to 5 turns of thread and then timing the tag. Put your pull through loop in place 8 to 10 turns before the end of the wrap. Use the pull through to start the wrap tag end under only a couple turns of thread, stop and trim the tag end as close to the wraps as possible, then pull the pull through loop out. When done correctly (and it does require just a little practice), you will have locked the wrap tag end under 4 to 5 turns of thread and have no excess tag to trim.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2016 01:54PM

Steve,
A couple of thoughts:

1. I have no idea what you are using for a pull thread. But, if you are not using braided fishing line for the pull line, change to braided fishing line for the pull thread.
I use 20 lb power pro braided fishing line for the pull thread. Compared to using another piece of thread, like a piece of size D, the diameter of the power pro, is likely about 1/2 or less of the size D thread.

The use of the thin, strong, braided fishing line really reduces the friction of the thread being pulled back through the wraps.

I make the pull threads from a piece of braided line, and I always put a bright red bead in the loop, before tying the pull loop. When the pull loop gets misplaced or dropped - the addition of the bright bead on the pull thread makes it easier to find.
i.e. I just thread the line through the bead and go back through the bead a 2nd time to lock the bead next to the knot that you complete after putting the bead on the thread.. I use a surgeon's knot to tie the two ends of the pull loop together.

2. When you pull the tag end of the thread back through the loops, do it very quickly. Normally, with the use of the super fishing line, and doing it quickly will eliminate the problem.

Yes, you can use 3-5 turns of thread to hold the thread, but for many years, I have used 10-12 thread wraps to hold the tag end. I also wrap very tightly. When I am done wrapping, I have the thread tight enough so that I can just barely move the guide for alignment.

I generally trim the tag end down to about 5 inches or so, before pulling the thread through.

Good luck

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2016 01:14AM

Steve, I wrap my guides on fairly tight, and also use about 8 - 10 wraps to tuck my tag ends under, so I was having the same problem as you. While I haven't completely solved the problem, I'm almost completely problem free, and I've also eliminated some of the little nubs I used to get.

I did it by trimming my tag end prior to pulling it completely through. I start by pulling it under about 3 - 4 wraps (you can see the small bulge under the wrap) then I stop and trim the tag end as close to the wrap as I can. I use scissors to do this as I've knicked far too many wraps with a razor blade and ruined the wrap.

When you pull it partially under and trim it, you'll have a length of the tag end that hasn't been pulled under, that is equal to the length that you've already pulled under. When you finish pulling it completely under you'll have the tag end under 6-8 wraps. What I shoot for is having the pull thread coming loose of the tag end before the tag end exits the wrap. That way I don't have to trim any little fuzzies.

Hope the way I described it makes sense.

In addition ..... I do the same thing with metalic thread for my trim and accent bands. The only exception being that I only pull metalic through 3-4 wraps as I find the metalic is more prone to unwrap when being pulled through.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2016 01:41AM by David Baylor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster