I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji KR Concept
Posted by: Chris Marrs (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2016 01:12PM

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing parts to build my first rod. A friend is going to help and let me use his setup to see if this is a hobby I will dive straight into. With that said, I was hoping somebody could help me with the sizes in my guide train for my first rod. Everyone seems to love Fuji guides so I have been reading for several weeks about the KR concept guide train. I have just found a hard time figuring out the starting sizes and I am not sure how small I want to go to the tip yet.

It will be a MHX 7ft MH fast blank paired with a shimano curado to use inshore for redfish. I want to use KW double foot guides for a little extra toughness, since redfish are extremely hard fighters and get very big. I use 30 lb braid all the time and occasionally use a 20-30 lb mono leader depending on the lure. But this rod will primarily have a gold spoon tied directly to the braid on it.

First question, what size would you recommend for the KW butt guides? If this is a hobby I take up, I will eventually end up keeping most sizes on hand but do not want to over order to much on my first test rod. Is using KW guides to the tip overkill? Most of the diagrams I see start with 2 KWs then drop down to KB for belly and KT for running.

How small would you go for this line setup in the belly and running guides? The smallest KW is a 5.5 unless you get titanium which I will not be for my first build. So would I be better off switching over to smaller Kb and KT to finish. I will definitely order a few extra running guides to test placement and how many the rod wants but any help with sizing and recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji KR Concept
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 10, 2016 02:40PM

Go to the Anglers Resource site on the left and download the catalog. In there is a great article on the guides.

Be sure to consider what you want to go through the guides (knots).

Since your use doesn't sound like an application that requires max sensitivity I would go larger rather than smaller. Not hard to feel a redfish strike.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2016 02:59PM

I have made a bunch of redfish and bass rods, both spinning and casting, using Fuji KR guides. I also use Shimano curado reels filled with 20 and 30 lb braid. So I think I am familiar with what you want. For my guide train I start with a KW 10 stripper, then a KW 5.5 as a transition guide followed by 2 or 3 KB 4.5 and then the remaining runners are KT 4.5. I love the way these rods cast and handle fish. Depending on your preference you could use size 5 or size 4 KB/KT runners in lieu of the size 4.5. The number of runners will depend on a static load test. For a 7' MH rod I usually use a total of 10-11 guides. I have done a few spiral wrapped and they do work well. So depending on your preference you can spiral wrap or conventional wrap.
As an edit - If you are planning on using a leader learn how to tie the FG knot,. It is the smallest diameter leader to braid knot, and allows for the smooth passage of the knot through the guides.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 03:05PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 10, 2016 05:45PM

Norman, you are SO right about the FG knot. It is the best I have found and slips beautifully through any size guide.
Chris, you are on the right track. I build personal rods for (the occasional) 30# bull red around here all the time. The KW10 is a good stripper for 30#, but I have switched to the RV6 for 20# braid. From there I go to the KB5.5 and then all KT5.5 runners installed with a locking wrap. If I was casting 30# braid I'd stick with Norman's recommendation, 20# braid and I go to the RV. Personal preference mostly. Both set-ups are deadly on big ole reds.

Date: November 10, 2016 07:12PM

The RV stripper is nice but only comes in a Titanium frame, However if you use the alconite RV6 to replace the KW10 and use the other guides with alconite polished stainless it will only cost an additional $3.20 for the set of guides. The titanium and polished stainless frame are close matches. If you use all alconite titanium frame guides, the extra cost will be about $33.30 for a set of 10 guides (using 4.5 runners), more than double the cost. Your choice.
Another edit - I use a locking wrap on all single foot guides. Might be overkill but I have replaced numerous single foot micro guides plus a few regular guides on brand name rods that pulled out from under the wrap. It is good insurance; it does not hurt but certainly may help.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 08:37PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 10, 2016 08:48PM

OOPS. thought you were talking spinning.

FG is a great knot, does take some time and practice to tie a reliable one every time.

Posted by: Chris Marrs (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 16, 2016 01:04PM

Thanks everyone!

Norman, that is the exact information I needed. Do you have a preference for a Fuji top on this setup, I was thinking MN for the added security, do you prefer going up 1/2 or 1 size larger than the running guides?

Date: November 16, 2016 01:46PM

When I use size 4.5 runners I use the Fuji FC micro tip tops, they come with a size 4.5 ring. If you are going to use size 5.5 or 5 runners you can use the American tackle light ring lock tip tops which come in a size 5 ring. If you want a more secure and little heavier duty tip top the Fuji MN tip top with a size 5 ring is a very good choice and will go well with 5.5, 5, or 4.5 runners. Just remember if you need to replace the MN tip top you will need to rewrap it, and thus it takes a little more time to get back to fishing. Hope this helps.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster