I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sensitivity
Posted by: Trace Butkovich (107.77.97.---)
Date: November 07, 2016 01:21AM

You guys probably get this a lot but how do you tell if the blank your going to buy is sensitive enough and if it's a good blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sensitivity
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: November 07, 2016 02:26AM

Starts with knowing what kind of rod you want, and if it is appropriate for what you are fishing for. Some rods benefit from the crispness of great sensitivity, while others benefit from softness and strength. Be clear on the application for what you want to build the rod for first. Next look at the materials of the blank. The combination of graphite, carbon fiber, and fiberglass are most common. Graphite rods are probably going to be your most sensitive blanks, and within that material they offer different "modulus." Higher modulus graphite is lighter, more crisp, and usually utilizes less material to achieve the desired power rating. There will be more material in a lower modulus blank than the higher modulus blank for the same power, so naturally they are going to be heavier, more flexible, and more robust.
Again, you want to be clear on what you're going to be using the rod for. Higher modulus rods, though more sensitive, shouldn't be seen as "better". More, they should be seen as a type of blank offering a specific type of action, independent of "better" or "worse". Worth noting, higher modulus rods do tend to be more expensive and they require proper technique when fishing or else they will break, meaning no high sticking or careless boat flipping.
As far as good blank vs not-good blank. Quality and quality control are huge. Start here and ask about specific companies. Most of the large blank manufacturers pay more for the branding, and will boast better quality control and warranty. They offer good blanks. "No-name" OEM blanks are cheaper, and if you're lucky you can manage to get phenomenal blanks for phenomenal pricing, but those purchases aren't as well protected, and you could get a lemon.

In short, if you want to see if a rod is "sensitive enough," pick out a couple factory rods that you like, and ask what blanks are comparable to those rods on this forum. You'll probably get a lot of good information.

Good luck,
Nick

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2016 08:01AM

In today's world all blanks from the established blank manufacturers to the left will be sensitive enough for whatever you want to do, will be durable enough, etc. they wouldn't survive in this industry if they sold subpar products with all the options out there. Than you have to go out there and hone your skills to get to the next level.
Set down and establish a list of characteristics you need the rod to do, arrange them in order of importance, than purchase accordingly. The blank is only part of the equation, what you do with it as far as components, and how they are used is just as important. A mid level blank built "light and right" will be every bit as nice a rod as a high end project built without the proper care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2016 06:28PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 07, 2016 11:51AM

Also keep in mind that what you put on the blank will affect its sensitivity.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 07, 2016 12:56PM

As I understand the term "sensitivity" it has nothing to do with fly rods, rods used to cast crank baits or bait-fishing rods used with circle hooks, leaving rods used for jigging and fishing soft artificial baits. I fear many of the concerns about the importance of what's called "sensitivity" in most rod applications are just a echos of advertising hype. Objective data, like CCS, is a much more sensible indicator of a blank's physical performance related to specific fishing methods.

Date: November 07, 2016 05:29PM

Phil, I think CCS is only going to get into the sensitivity area if you take it into the frequency measurements. The usual power and action measurements most likely will not be an indicator of sensitivity. I think one could make two different blanks both with the same power and action measurements, but far away from each other in sensitivity. I don't think there is an objective measurement of "sensitivity." But I would think that the higher frequency blanks would probably be the most "sensitive."

Date: November 07, 2016 06:20PM

If a rod's "sensitivity" can not be seen, recorded, or measured I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it or trying to find it.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2016 07:16PM

Phil, I think you misconstrued Michael's comments. Sensitvity can easily be felt but might be best "measured" by frequency measurements. That is all. I can assure you it is important to bait fisherman.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2016 07:24PM

A point of clarification re a post above, The term Graphite is a misnomer, there is no Graphite in a fishing rod. It is carbon fiber. You will find Graphite in a pencil lead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2016 01:41PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: November 07, 2016 08:11PM

Russell, right on!

Date: November 07, 2016 09:43PM

I don't like to belabor a point, but millions upon millions of modern bait-fishing anglers use circle hooks, leave their rods in their holders, and let the fish hook themselves. They will tell you their hook-up to bite ratio has increased greatly, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the sensitivity of the rod, whether measured or divined. A bait rod with sensitivity, ESP, and a "J" hook will not catch nearly as many fish as a broomstick connected to a baited circle hook.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2016 10:32PM

We might want to expand the term "sensitivity" to include efficiency. The higher the stiffness to weight ratio of the rod, the more efficient it will be. Think of efficiency as having to do with rod "speed," i.e. the ability to quickly react and then recover. A more efficient rod is able to do a lot of things better. And yes, the CCS frequency measurement would be ideal to show the relative efficiency between different blanks.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2016 10:08AM

Imagine that ..... letting a fish swallow a bait, and then in the process of that fish turning and swimming away, it hooks itself, and this increases an anglers hook up to bite ratio? It baffles the mind, doesn't it?

And sensitivity plays a pretty important role in rods used for crankbaits, as well as bait fishing rods. Sensitivity is important in any rod an angler holds in their hand, regardless of the technique. To say it's simply echoes of advertising hype, is IMO, ludicrous at best.

That's like saying sharp hooks don't matter.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2016 12:50PM

Sensitivity is something that each angler needs to decide for him/her self.

This is a very individual feeling for a particular blank or rod.

If you like the rod or blank - use it. If sensitivity is part of the equation - so be it.

Good luck

Date: November 08, 2016 01:32PM

I have to retract or at least modify my earlier post. I also feel I should apologize for the tone of my prior post. It's just that some times I don't get where certain things come from. My apologies.

And now for the modification I need to make.

There are definitely techniques where the sensitivity of a rod is not important, even when the angler is holding the rod. Those techniques would be those were a bite is detected visually, instead of being detected through feel. Bobber fishing, fly fishing, top water lures, and in some instances, techniques that are normally considered techniques where a sensitive rod would be an advantage.

Do you need a sensitive rod for every type of fishing? No.

Date: November 09, 2016 09:27AM

The sensitivity of a fishing rod and any number of other tools apparently defies objective measurement, but there is no reason to deny that sensitivity is a characteristic of many types of tools. The problem is since a rod's sensitivity is completely subjective - varies with every individual and can't be objectively measured, it is impossible to make reliable recommendations or comparisons about the sensitivity of a particular blank to another person. Harmonics, bending index, action angle, damping, weight, etc. are measurable, objective qualities which communicate useful information about rod blanks. We should remember our advice about our perception of a blank's sensitivity is likely to be of little if any value to another rod builder or angler.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2016 02:17PM

Phil,
Well said.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 09, 2016 05:56PM

I'm gonna have to apologize also, if just for what I was thinking! The Good Lord gave me 2 rodholders, a left, and a right. If I'm not using them, I'm not fishin'. I need the signals that are transmitted up the line to come down the blank and into my hand. Vibration transmission might be a better term than sensitivity.

Date: November 10, 2016 08:41AM

A rod blanks sensitivity (its ability to transmit vibrations) is not subjective at all. It can be measured.

A fishing line's sensitivity (its ability to transmit vibration) is not subjective at all. It can be measured.

I suppose it's subjective as to weather a carbon fiber grip transmits more vibration than an EVA foam grip does?

If science can devise a method to measure the wave lengths of various colors of light, and determine how far those wave lengths will penetrate various depths of water based on the water's clarity, the water's color, and to some extent even the water's temperature, then surely a rod blank's ability to transmit vibration can be measured.

The ONLY part of a fishing rod's sensitivity that is subjective, is whether or not the angler feels they need a rod that transmits vibrations at a higher level, for the fishing techniques they employ.

Date: November 10, 2016 11:03AM

David: I have never seen a sensitivity chart for rod blanks using numbers or any other objective measurement. Where can I find one?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster