I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice rod guides
Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2016 08:23PM

I'm wanting to build some ice rods (the whole reason I started this madness). I plan to build 24-26" rods for panfish. Any suggestions on number of guides and sizes. I can compare to some store bought ones I have but thought I'd pick everyone's brain on what they like. Simple and functional, that's what I am after to start with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice rod guides
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 05, 2016 11:53PM

With the short length rods I would guess these are indoor rods? (You can use somewhat smaller guides for indoor rods that won't be subject to icing like outdoor rods.)

Carbon or glass blanks? (You may want an extra fly guide on very flexible "noodle" glass blanks to spread the load more evenly.)

The style reel also factors into what size stripper guide to use - spinning, in-line, etc.

I like Minima guides and wire type fly guides - no advantage to using expensive titanium REC guides on an ice rod in my opinion. Glue-on tip tops or wrapped on fly guide tip tops are a matter of personal preference.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 06, 2016 10:21AM

Watching a 200 pound man set a hook with all his might is a magnificent and amusing sight, but ancient technology has made this spectacle obsolete. If you are fishing bait a circle hook on a rod left alone in a rod holder will outperform a "J" hook many times over, guaranteed. A jig pole is another story.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 07, 2016 04:25PM

Minima match 4 spin guides in sizes depending on height of stripper guide to match inline, spin, or schoolie reel. Number of guides determined by static line deflection test which is affected by glass or graphite. use LOTS of guides to cover the stress distribution.

Date: November 07, 2016 09:31PM

Thanks Buzz!

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 08, 2016 08:17AM

Matt,
If you have a specific blank and length of blank in mind shoot me an email and I will be happy to give you guide styles, locations, and sizes that I would put on the rod and you can then modify that information to your preferences.
Buzz

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 08, 2016 08:34AM

Matt

Unhide your email address for more info.

Posted by: Mat Peirce (---.dvnp.qwest.net)
Date: November 09, 2016 02:41PM

GUIDES Dist From Tip-inches
TFX3XG-10 1 15.5
TFX3XG-8 1 12
TFX3XG-7 1 8.5
TFX3XG-7 1 5
PacBay Mirco/Fly Minima or Sportsmans Direct Ti single foot fly
TIP TOP
Sportsmens Direct SDI HWI Ti 1.1mm #8

That's a setup from a 30" carbon rod that used an inline reel, for a spinning reel replace the -10 stripper with a XM3XG-12. Adjust the distance from tip to coincide with the action of the blank - the blanks I sand down work well with the 1st running guide from the tip at about 4-6" depending on overall rod length. A lot of people will think that's a lot of distance lol

Date: November 09, 2016 03:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster