I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

white blank with white wrap-possible?
Posted by: Rob Cain (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 01, 2016 09:52PM

Been an avid follower of this board for some time, but this is my first post. I'd describe myself as a "hobbyist" rod builder having built mostly for myself and a few friends. Kudos to Tom and all on this board, I'm constantly amazed at the insight and info readily shared. I went thru the thread list quite carefully to avoid asking a question that has already been covered but couldn't find an exact answer. Here goes-I recently bought a CTS blank in alpine white. I wanted to have a minimalist look with matching white wrap; but having read much on this board about UV degradation of standard wrap finishes I'm not sure it's feasible. Would Permagloss be an option on the wraps? From what I've read it's a very thin build and wouldn't provide a smooth finish. Anyone ever try a white wrap and if so what did you use to prevent yellowing in the finish? I assume a white wrap would show yellowing in the finish more quickly, but over what period of time? I'm going to be using this rod for Great Lakes Steelheading, so it's not like the rod would be in constant sunlight. Should I just use a normal 2 type wrap finish or is there a better solution? Much appreciate any advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: white blank with white wrap-possible?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2016 11:16PM

Yes, PermaGloss is not only an option but a very good one. It will take about 3 to 5 coats to build any depth and it won't look quite the same as a high build epoxy, but it will never yellow. You should consider giving it a try. You may like the way it looks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2016 11:53PM

Rob,
I read and understand your post.

However, if it was my blank, I would build the rud using black thread for contrast.

Just try wrapping a couple of guides with white and then try wrapping a couple of guides in black. Choose the one that looks best in your eyes.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2016 01:07AM

Look in the M & M posts in the archives, there is some info in there about the bass guys letting the finish set and thicken a bit to get some body in the finish. Might have been posts from Bill Stevens, you can put him in as the author and see if I'm right.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2016 09:00AM

Rob

As Tom advised, Permagloss is a great option when a non-yellowing finish is desired. However, it comes with the cost of not protecting the underlying thread from UV radiation and fading. How quickly white thread will degrade due to UV radiation is unknown to me, but my guess is it will be slower than a color such as red. Unfortunately, we do not have a perfect means to protect all rod components from the pesky UV radiation that damages our eyes and our rods. This is neither an argument against using Permagloss nor a promotion of an epoxy. It is simply an encouragement to be realistic with expectations over time.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2016 12:12PM

If you use a two part epoxy, the white wraps on a white blank will eventually appear an amber color, unavoidable!

Date: November 02, 2016 12:42PM

I haven't had any trouble with white thread fading. I suppose this is because white is white, although I suppose the thread itself could yellow, but I've not experienced this with NCP white covered with PG.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 02, 2016 01:12PM

I have built a white rod with white wraps--in fact the carbon fiber handle was white and the real seat was painted white.
I wish now I had used Permagloss instead of epoxy for the wraps because they are slowly turning amber. The rod is
about 9 months old but the color change started about 3 months after the build. Eventually, I may strip it and
use Permagloss.

Date: November 02, 2016 04:24PM

I assume you painted the carbon fiber grip to white?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 03, 2016 12:04AM

Dave & Rob,
As Tom alluded to, Carbon fiber cannot be colored. There are numerous fabrics out there claiming to be colored carbon fiber, but in reality, most are simply colored fiberglass including silver which is commonly referred to as Texalium, or possibly colored Aramid (Kevlar). In any case, coloring the fibers weakens the ultimate strength of the laminate by as much as 25%, although that may not be as much of an issue here.
As for the yellowing issue, listen to the previous veterans as I am too new to wrapping to afford any viable advice. While I may not always agree, my experience pales in comparison.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Rob Cain (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 03, 2016 12:40AM

Many thanks for all the advice, NCP white and Permagloss seems the most viable option. Thanks to all who offered your hard-won info, I'll post on how the build ended up.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 03, 2016 03:02PM

Yes, Tom, the grip and foregrip were painted white. Actually, that paint has remained true and has not flaked or chipped.

Dave

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 06, 2016 03:18PM

Anyone planning to use light-colored thread (yellow, pink, etc.) to wrap a blank that is NOT white should heed Tom's advice to paint the blank white beneath where the thread wraps will fall.

Posted by: James Rogers (---.beyondbb.com)
Date: November 07, 2016 08:34AM

Maybe add white pigment to your 2 part epoxy would this eventually yellow?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster