I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Traditional action fly rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 06:13PM

I'm planning to build a traditional action (not fast action) fly rod, 4 piece, 6 weight, and am finding from my traditional sources only a couple options. Those of you who are fly rod experts, please tell me your recommendations for a blank for this rod. thanks, Mick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Traditional action fly rod
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 08:14PM

You're not finding numerous options because so many manufacturers and retailers think you want a long, skinny, tomato stake disguised as a fly rod.

Last 6 weight I built was a 4 piece Epic fast glass. Tom Morgan offered at one time a 4 piece, 6 weight glass rod. I've not built up the Tom Morgan 6 weight, but the 7 weight is really sweet. The TFO Professional Series are not so fast.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 08:31PM

The Batson RX6 line will most likely match your needs. One problem you have is a quantifiable definition of "traditional action." It is variable from Bamboo, glass and carbon fiber.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2016 09:18PM

Mike, if you want to go with Graphite, CTS Vintage would be my only choice. I would also recommend looking into Fiberglass, CTS Quartz, Livingston Rod Co, Steffen, Tom Morgan, Epic, and McFarland, I've built on every one of those brands in 6wt for customers and I own a Quartz, Steffen and Livingston as my own personal 6wts.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 09:25PM

A good choice for as build like that, not too fast and not too slow would be the 9' 6wt SHX from Karen at Bingham Ent. I have built on a lot of the SHX blanks and have had nothing but great reports on their performance

Ron Weber

Date: November 01, 2016 08:41AM

Link to Bingham gives an error message. Any ideas on getting to their web site? I'd like more info on the SHX blanks.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 01, 2016 08:06PM

Out of curiosity, why do you want a "traditional" action, and what characteristics do you expect this action should have? Back in the day when a 50 foot fly cast raised eyebrows the wet fly fishers seemed to prefer a slower action, parabolic blank, while the dry fly guys looked for a faster action rod. "Sensitivity" never was and never will be a legitimate concern about fly rods. If you fish with bait rather than flies it's a bait rod, not a fly rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2016 01:15AM

The Bingham site is being worked on, the SHX blanks are nice blanks and the color is similar to the discontinued Rainshadow RX8 blanks, a titanium colored finish that goes with just about any thread.

Date: November 02, 2016 07:55AM

thanks for the suggestions, Bimgham site is up now, I ask for "traditional" because the winner of a charity raffle asked for it. I have questioned what he is after with the word "traditional," and will be sure he knows what he is asking for. I think he believes "fast" causes casting issues or delicacy issues with the presentation. I'm working it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster