I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Mixers
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2016 10:07PM

Hi to all and thanks, hopefully, for your input.
Are the rotating epoxy mixing systems worth it? In theory, the idea seems to be a good one, but with the three little steps at the bottom of the cups to keep them from wedging together when stacked, I am wondering if that causes the mixing rod to bounce and introduce air into the mixture. While I have had every few issues with bubbles in my wrap epoxy, anything to aid in producing a perfect rod is worth considering. Please afford me with both pros and cons.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Mixers
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 01:03AM

If you are talking about those that use the small plastic portion cups, not all the cups come with those ridges or steps. Use cups without those and you will not create bubbles.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 01:30AM

Just putting it out there, if it affected the use of an epoxy mixer, wouldn't it affect all forms of mixing?

Date: October 31, 2016 02:05AM

Phil,
Thanks for the input on he ridges.
Spencer,
Excuse me but I do not understand your point or question.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: October 31, 2016 02:06AM

Yes it would affect all forms of mixing but the cups were not made specifically for mixing epoxy .To my understanding of them they are a mixing cup for medicines & other fluids .I have been using them for years now in a mixer & have never experienced any bubbles .What I do is I pour the epoxy & hardener into the mixing cup & drop ball bearings into the mix . 1 ball bearing is 1/2" & the other is 1/4" & it appears to me that the small ball will become caught in a corner & then the larger one pulls it out or it falls out due to gravity & I let it mix for between 3-5 minuets .While that is happening I spend the time gathering the tools & other articles that I may need .I also give the wraps a look over any tag ends that I've missed & double check the alignment of the guides .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 02:18AM by Barry Chapman.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 08:38AM

Mark

Think the above posters are correct. Mixing cups without the "steps" produce far fewer bubbles. A smooth cup and good mixing technique produces few bubbles.

I built for over 20 years without a mixer other than a cup and stick, so it can be done. Bought a rotating mixer last year and wonder how I ever lived without it. Put the epoxy in the cup with the supplied metal cylinder or ball, fire it up, set a timer for 4 minutes, and get a perfect mix first and every time. It's sop easy it's almost like cheating.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: October 31, 2016 10:07AM

Mark,
Was just asking, if all our mixing tools are straight edged, be it a pretty heavy piece of rod, popsicle stick, or spatula, wouldn't they all act similarly while mixing the epoxy as far as mixing all the finish? The factories I've visited mix their finish like they are beating eggs and still get good results.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 10:52AM

Mark,
I am sure that the right power mixer will work just fine.

However, as Donald stated, built for many years using a cut and a craft stick with 0 issues.

I just take the position that I don't care to clean up the ball or rod that is used in some of the mixers. Also, how does one guarantee that all of the mix in the corners and on the rod or ball are well mixed.

I simply take the plastic cup and craft stick and mix slowly for 2 minutes or 120 seconds and apply the finish. One swipe of the stick with a paper towel and the stick is clean. After applying the finish from the cup - I just let the cup sit in the corner to be used for a test cup to check when the finish has cured. Then, into the garbage with the cup and all of the mess is cleaned up from mixing and finish application. I use 5 cent brushes to apply finish to one rod and use another 5 cent brush for the next coat or the next rod. Never any brush or mixing clean up at all.

Simple method that has worked well for me and I have no intention to go to a mechanical mixer.

No issues at all with bubbles in my finish.

For those that enjoy the use of the mechanical mixer and enjoy cleaning up the mixer - great. Many different ways to complete the job.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2016 11:30AM

Mix a batch carefully by hand, and the do the same thing in a mechanical mixer. Allow both batches to set and cure. Then pop them out of the cups and and take a hard look at the results achieved between the two. It comes down to clarity. Seeing is believing.

These commercial mixers are the result of an article that appeared in RodMaker Magazine some time ago. A photo of what I am describing above appeared along with the article. If you don't want to try the experiment yourself you can use that photo for comparison.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 05:39PM

I built my own variable speed epoxy mixer. I use small cups without ridges, and mix with a round steel ball/bearing (different size balls for different amounts of finish), and will never go back to mixing by hand. Mix thoroughly, pour epoxy onto cleaned lunch pie tins, and let stand for a minute or two. Absolutely no bubbles!!!

Rog

Date: November 01, 2016 12:45AM

Thank you to all responding. I have become reliant on you guys and you have come through yet again! It seems my original concern of any steps in the mixing cup adversely affects a bubble free mixture of epoxy, automated or by hand. I don’t even like the steps while hand mixing! So, Phil, who sells the 1oz cups without the steps? I have purchased from two local shops and Mud Hole, but all have the interior steps. Whether I purchase a mixer or continue to mix by hand, stepless cups will be beneficially appreciated.
With its squared, if you will, corners, I would think a mixing rod or cylinder would perform better than spherical balls to get down into the bottom corners of the cup to maximize mixing all the epoxy evenly as Roger mentioned.
Hey Roger, where do you buy finish brushes for only a nickel? I want in!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2016 11:39AM

Mark,
I get the brushes from the Walmart craft store in the children's art department.

[www.walmart.com]

Sorry, I was wrong on the price. They are 3.2 cents per brush.

30 brushes for 97 cents.

--------------------------------

By the way, I get my plastic mixing cups at the local grocery store deli where they use the cups for products samples. I buy them by the stack for a few $$ each. the cups have smooth sides and a smooth bottom.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2016 11:47AM

Mark, sent you an email with cup source. Not a sponsor.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2016 01:58AM

Phil Cou;ld I get that info

Date: November 03, 2016 12:14AM

Thanks to all in general, Roger and Phil in particular.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster