I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
abalone inlay
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2016 03:40PM

I am interested in learning about abalone inlays. I have researched it quite a bit and have ordered the issue of rodmaker magazine that has the article Kevin Knox wrote, but that is about all the info I
can find. Also, I wanted to get the best abalone sheets I can.
Any information on the would greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
Jon Hood

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: abalone inlay
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.38.---)
Date: October 27, 2016 03:52PM

Mudhole used to have the sheets and a video or two on applying them. Have looked lately. If I remeber right it's a different approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2016 03:55PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: October 27, 2016 03:59PM

yes, I looked at those videos, but I would like some in depth info from someone that possibly specializes in the abalone inlay. Maybe the procedure hasn't changed since Kevin did his article.

Jon Hood

Date: October 27, 2016 04:01PM

I actually found some info that mentioned a CD tutorial, but I can't find where to buy it.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2016 11:57PM

Order your Abalone from Kevin,It is the Best And ask him for info. It is really easy using his material

Date: October 27, 2016 11:58PM

Order your Abalone from Kevin,It is the Best And ask him for info. It is really easy using his material

Date: October 27, 2016 11:58PM

Date: October 28, 2016 09:03AM

I have emailed him requesting information as well as price and availability of some veneers, but I haven't heard from him. Is he still doing business?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 28, 2016 09:47AM

Yes, but he's pretty busy building rods and fishing tournaments.

Date: October 28, 2016 09:50AM

ok, Thanks Ken. I will wait to hear from him.

Jon Hood

Date: October 28, 2016 10:05AM

However,
I would still like to hear responses and recommendations from everyone else!

Jon Hood

Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2016 04:24PM

I have been using the boiling water method, Video can be found on Mud hole's page with abalone.
After the cutting abalone to size (cut so there is about an 1/8 inch overlap) soak for 10 to 15 min peal off the backing and apply to the rod using a thread burnisher.
Next warp the abalone with thread or twine to smooth down the edges and wait an 1 hour or more for the adhesive to set. finally remove twine and epoxy 2 or more coats as needed.

Date: October 28, 2016 05:15PM

Thanks Eddie,
I assume the 1/8 " overlap is kind of absorbed in the finish like when you finish an open diamond or chevron?

Jon Hood

Date: October 28, 2016 09:29PM

Cut ,Soak in Boiled water 10 -15 mins untill entire back it saturaed. Peel and apply using thumbs to apply presure while slowly rotating rod.when finished I wrap it with a Sacrifical thread for 24 Hours

Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2016 05:43PM

yes the overlap kinda disappears.

Date: October 29, 2016 05:48PM

Anyone have any experience with the materials from aqua blue Maui?

Jon Hood

Date: October 30, 2016 07:06AM

I THINK that is the same material that Kevin uses / sells.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2016 12:04PM

I boil mine until back is fully saturated which you have to check because you boil it back side down so as not to burn your abalone. I apply it still still warm and go slowly. Then wrap with thread for a while to help it set. Oh someone already this above

Date: October 30, 2016 12:32PM

ok, so I assume you boil it until there is a visual change in the backing on the veneer- basically it should look saturated- right? Then, peal backing off and apply the veneer to the rod blank going slowly and using my fingers only. Then, wrap with thread until the veneer has fully cooled back to room temperature. Remove thread, put on the end wraps, apply finish.

Sound right?

Where do you guys get your MOP abalone veneers from? I have emailed Kevin twice, but still haven't heard anything from him. Does anyone have another source recommendation for the top grade
Veneers?

Thanks,
Jon

Jon Hood

Date: October 30, 2016 05:18PM

Jon -
Yes, you have it down = boil until all the backing is darkened; peel off backing & apply the veneer (it will be HOT on your fingers). You may find it helpful to reheat the veneer with a heat gun on mid-temp setting if the veneer doesn't conform easily. Do not overly worry about cracking of the veneer as it will be virtually unnoticeable once the epoxy is applied. Definitely overwrap with sacrificial thread & allow to sit for 2-3 hours before removing it.

Kevin just completed day 2 of an inshore tournament today. I dropped him an IM to let him know you want to get in touch.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster