I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Centerpin rod
Posted by: Adam Bundy (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2016 09:39AM

Hey guys I am new to the forum and rod building. Might be biting off a bit much for a first build but want to make a centerpin rod with sliding rings instead of reel seat. Can someone point me in the right direction for guide spacing on a 13ft blank and how to do sliding rings?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Centerpin rod
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 27, 2016 11:09AM

Adam where do you live?

Posted by: Adam Bundy (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2016 12:37PM

Buzz I live in Wolcott NY right between Rochester and Syracuse

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.35.---)
Date: October 27, 2016 01:03PM

Have you looked at the HKS-9 Tennessee grip from Mudhole? It is 20 inches long, which should be all you need I'd think.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 27, 2016 02:14PM

Adam, Sliding rings have a tendency to loosen on their own, I have yet to find any {real Quality rings} that hold, Just my experience, Have you given any thoughts to using cloth hockey tape? You will still be able to move your reel wherever you want and be secure and Not have to worry about your reel loosening -up, That's what I use on my tennessee grips. It sure beats having to screw around tightening rings in the Cold, If there's any good rings out there maybe a member will chime in? on what they would be, and who makes them? I have yet to find any, Here's a link with colored hockey tape, Your reel will stay-put with this tape. Tight Lines and may your steelies shine bright !!!! Jaa P/S what blank are you building on for the guide spacing?? we need to know that. [howieshockeytape.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2016 02:22PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2016 07:03PM

For years, I have used only tape on Tennessee style grips, or center pin rods without a reel seat.

I use the black electricians plastic tape. If I am going over cork, I will put two layers of tape on the grip where I want the front tape wrap and the rear tape wrap to be located.

Then, I place the reel on the grip and use 2 or more layers of tape over the reel foot to hold the reel in place. If I want to remove the reel, or change the reel, I remove the tape that is over the top of the reel foot, but don't disturb the two wraps of tape under the reel foot. By leaving the two underwraps in place, the cork is never disturbed by removing the tape next to the cork. The tape is generally sticky enough so that if the tape is removed, there is a good chance that chunks of cork may be removed from the grip as well.

But, by leaving the two double wraps of tape - always on the cork, the cork is always protected from tape removal damage.

Good luck

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 28, 2016 07:46AM

NO WAY I'd recommend leaving the rings off your sliding ring grip. Centerpins are horribly expensive, and can be destroyed beyond repair if dropped on a hard surface. Use the rings, and then you tape it to the handle, no chance it's coming off when you least expect it. In My Opinion anyways. If you haven't located some guide spacing, I can probably give you a starting point.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 28, 2016 10:57AM

For a starting point you could start at 3" 7" 12" 18" which is adding one inch to each spacing. Then do a static test and adjust as required.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2016 12:24PM

Adam,
Before owning one, I thought Tennessee grips were just for ice rods and thought the rings would not hold the reel securely. I was given a beautiful vintage Conolon Misilite spinning rod with a Tennessee grip with aluminum rings which has become my favorite trout rod. The only rings I have seen for sale are some kind of composite plastic which may not hold as well as aluminum. I was advised to simultaneously twist the rings in the opposite direction while mounting the reel which has afforded me a secure reel which has never loosened unsuspectedly. No pulling bits of cork out with the tape and no residue either. The advantage and ability to position the reel where desired is an obvious, if not somewhat unique, benefit which is being employed on one of my present builds.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: jon tobey (144.160.130.---)
Date: November 15, 2016 02:14PM

If you search my name I think I have 2 threads on this last year, but the part you are looking for is in this answer:
"Janns Netcraft has the aluminum ones in three different sizes."

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: November 15, 2016 11:05PM

Adam, if you email me, I might have a source for you.

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster