I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walleye Rod Blank
Posted by: Dan Leitzen (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: October 25, 2016 11:24PM

I am looking at building a rod for vertical jigging for walleyes. it will be used for 1/8 to 1/4 ounce jigs. It will only be used for this application. I am thinking 6' 3" medium lite blank. Also I am willing to spend some money for this blank. Any ideas for handle and guides would also be appreciated. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walleye Rod Blank
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: October 26, 2016 08:49AM

Check out the Bushido DS69/4-10 ...... you do not have to spend a lot to get a lot, and you can trim it down.

I fished the St Clair River in Michigan a ton and this blank dominates for jigging!

As far as the handle and guides.... is this a spinning or casting set up? (blank is good for both btw)

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.36.---)
Date: October 26, 2016 09:56AM

The St Croix 3 & 4S63MLXF, or 63MXF and the 5S63MXF blanks make fantastic walleye rods.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: October 26, 2016 10:37AM

Pretty much any 6 to 6 1/2' spin jig blank, coupled with a lightweight reel and 4# crystal Fireline (plus a 6 or 8# clear leader if you must). I use two St. Croix rods - 63MXF and a 6 1/2 ML, and also an NFC SJ604 IM extended 4".

I have to say though - the short jig rods were easier to use when most boats had a 60" to 80" beam back in the day. I would say if you're fishing in a boat with a 90" plus beam you might want a longer rod.

Y-frame guides of your choice, starting with a 20 stripper, then down to 4mm runners (unless you might want to use a bobber stop at some point). No need to go expensive or fancy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2016 10:42AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 26, 2016 10:48AM

I'd recommend our RainShadow Immortal series of Walleye blanks. This is a true hi-modulus blank.

IMMWS62MXF - 6'2" with a Medium power.
Our ML's start at 7'2" in this series.

Find more info on them at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2016 04:29PM by James Taylor.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2016 11:40AM

X10 on James recommendations.
I have built a lot of walleye jigging rods on the Immortal Medium light rod - based on the 7'2".
Any one that wants a rod that is shorter than 7'2"; I simply trim length from the butt of the rod to get the desired length.

Wonderful rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Dan Leitzen (---.jagcom.net)
Date: October 26, 2016 03:45PM

I don't own a rod with an extra fast action. However I have been reading for vertical jigging an extra fast action is best. That might rule out some of these rods. If anyone has any input on this that would be great. I will be going with one of these rods. Thanks

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 26, 2016 05:12PM

I jig big rivers! Detroit river and St, Clair river systems in Mi, river current speed is 2-3 mph, My favorite walleye jig rod is built on the rainshadow RX8- 822.5 Extra fast, I think it was meant for drop-shotting? I love It! It just works for Me. I have 2 and yes I cut 5" off the butt end. For me it's the perfect rod, But I fish jigs 1/4 ounce and up to 1/2 ounce depending on the depth, current, weather conditions, We also have a lot of white bass and {farm animals, As we call them here} -- SHEEPHEAD !!!, Thats what we have to fish through and at times, And you need to get that bait down as fast as you can with out them grabbing it. This is the new replacement for the RX8, [www.getbitoutdoors.com] I will be building 1 more on the new improved blank this winter. Tight Lines! Jaa

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2016 05:46PM

There are a lot of good rods out there and no matter which one you chose, build it as light as you can. Since you will be using a light to medium light rod I would go with PacBay minima guides, hard to find a lighter guide train. Specifically I would use size 16, 8, and 6 M type guides for the reduction train and size 4 F guides as running guides. Use the Fuji KR GPS for positioning the guides. This very light guide train will give you a very light, sensitive and responsive rod. My second choice would be the use of Fuji KR guides.
Norm

Date: October 26, 2016 09:15PM

X10 on Norman's recommendation for rod guides with the exception that I use either a size 16 or size 20 tall match guide for the butt guide.

By using the taller match guide, you minimize line slap that may be present if you use the typical SV guide that is considerably shorter than the match guide.

As Jay stated, lots of action with Sheeps head fish.

In case you do not know, these fish are technically called "fresh water drum"

[www.dnr.state.mn.us]

If the water is cold, these fish can be eaten and enjoyed and provide a very nice meal along with lots of fun catching them. When I eat them, I simply fillet them, then bread and fry the fillets.

Good luck

Date: October 26, 2016 09:18PM

Dan,
Although I own a few jigging rods with extra fast action - most of the rods that I use when fishing with jigs is to use a fast action rod.

Sometimes the softer tip of the extra fast action of a given rod blank may help once in a while, I have found that I get essentially equal results using a fast action tipped rod of similar power.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2016 10:06PM

The Minima M guides are the match guides and the F guides are the low profile fly guides. They make up a very nice light and responsive micro guide rod. The entire set of these minima guides weigh less than one size 25 V or Y ceramic guide. Hard to find a lighter guide train.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2016 08:10AM

If it were me I'd go with the IMMWS62MXF that James mentioned.

I haven't built on that blank. I haven't built on any of the spinning blanks from the Immortal series of blanks. But I have built on two blanks from casting line of blanks of the Immortal series. They are awesome blanks. I can't help but to think their blanks in the spinning line up and the walleye line up are just as awesome.

There is no way you could go wrong with a blank from the Immortal series from Rainshadow.

As for guides, I'd punch the numbers in on Fuji's KGPS app and go with the sizes they recommend, and use Fuji guides with Alconite rings. Awesome guides for the money.

Handle. To me, and probably a lot of folks, the handles on a spinning rod is more of less the reel seat. I built two spinning rods and used a Forecast skeleton reel with the woven graphite insert made for the seat. I used a size 17 seat and insert mostly because the blank I was building on had larger diameter butt (.595) and I thought the 17 would be an easier fit. I mounted it using an arbor. I love the looks and the sensitivity of the seat.

Actual handle material, I like EVA. It's easily cared for and is comfy in pretty much any kind of weather.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 27, 2016 05:15PM

I'll Second Norman's and Rogers suggestion on the Minima Guides, And build it lite, No football shaped epoxy on your wraps = More Sensitivity, Roger I will try one of those Sheeps, Brined and smoked first, We have some Big one's here, they really put up a one heck of a fight and are fun to that's for sure!! Jaa

Date: October 27, 2016 07:06PM

Jay,
If you catch the Sheeps head in really cold water - as in winter fishing, they are even better because the colder water will really firm up their flesh.

Be safe

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: October 28, 2016 09:57AM

I smoked some once and they were great. They fight like a giant bluegill!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster