I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light Surf Rod
Posted by: Will Cooper (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 07:14PM

Hi All,

Im looking to build my first surf rod using the SS1025. It will pull double duty for freshwater shore fishing as well, slinging metals and jigs up to 1oz. It will have a 4000/5000 size reel.

For guides I plan to go with the KR series from 20H > 10H > 5.5M > (8x) 5 BKBAG runners to the top.

I plan to have the reel stem at roughly 18in from the butt. (unless there is something i should know)

Please let me know your opinions

Also, what do you guys suggest for a reel seat and grips?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2016 07:15PM by Will Cooper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light Surf Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 09:00PM

I've had better luck going up one size on your first 3 guides from the reel on the size spool those reels have.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2016 09:41PM

Is that Shimano spinning reel sizing?

What kind of line and lb test do you plan on using with it?

Do you fish in areas that sometimes have seaweed depending on conditions,?If you do you might want to go with size 6 as the smallest.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 10:02PM

I have exactly the same setup on my light surf rod which is also an 8 1/2' H salmon rod. It works great for throwing anything up to 1.5 oz. A fun rod for light surf fishing. I use a Stradic 4000 reel with 20 lb. braid and a fluorocarbon leader attached via an FG knot. If you are planing on heavier line and a larger reel going to a 25H, 12H, 5.5M reduction train might be a slightly better option.
Norm

Posted by: Will Cooper (---.parexel.com)
Date: October 25, 2016 06:54AM

Yes it is a shimano reel (Spheros SW). I plan to use 15-30lb braid for a line. I will pick up the next size up guides just to be on the safe side. Thanks.

Any suggestions on a different blank? Distance is key for this build, since some of the places i fish from shore do not allow boats. I would say hte largest bait ill be throwing is 1.5oz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 06:54AM by Will Cooper.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 25, 2016 10:25AM

I think at 30# you're on the right track - 25, 12, 5.5. If you want to decide ahead of time to limit it to 20# go with the 20. And try a stripper position (along with the one you suggested) about 19-20 inches beyond the tip of the spool axle. You might like that better, but test it before wrapping.

Date: October 25, 2016 11:03AM

I have used both 9' and 8 1/2' salmon blanks rated up to 1.5 oz. both throw very well but would give a slight edge to the 9 footer. I have not tried any of the longer heavy salmon/steelhead blanks. I mostly use mine for fishing below a spillway for striped bass and hybrids. I also use them as light surf rods for north Florida beaches. They both throw as far as I needed them to do.
Norm

Date: October 25, 2016 11:10AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used both 9' and 8 1/2' salmon blanks rated
> up to 1.5 oz. both throw very well but would give
> a slight edge to the 9 footer. I have not tried
> any of the longer heavy salmon/steelhead blanks. I
> mostly use mine for fishing below a spillway for
> striped bass and hybrids. I also use them as light
> surf rods for north Florida beaches. They both
> throw as far as I needed them to do.
> Norm

Thanks Norm, what blanks are you using?

Date: October 25, 2016 12:31PM

My current 8.5' rod is a lamiglass certified pro model (not sure if they are made anymore) The current 9 footers are an MHX SA1085 and a Rainshadow ISA 1086. They are all very nice blanks and have have caught good fish on all of them. I have also used some other Rainshadow salmon blanks but they are now discontinued. It seems that both Lamiglass and Rainshadow will discontinue blanks at the drop of a hat. Over the years I have made a bunch of salmon/steelhead rods for spillway fishing. Over the past few years I almost exclusively switched to the Fuji KR concept spinning and casting guides. I like them a lot. If you want extra casting distance you can always go with lighter braid. Going from 30# to 20# braid will increase casting distance about 10 yds or so. Spillway fishing is what caused me to switch from mono to braid due to increased casting distance, and that was over 20 yrs ago.
Norm

Date: October 25, 2016 12:37PM

I was looking at the MHX SA1086 3/5-2 1/2OZ. How well does the 1085 handle the upper end of its weight range?

Date: October 25, 2016 05:24PM

No problems.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster