I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Finish Coat
Posted by: Steve Colvin (---.amrdec.army.mil)
Date: October 24, 2016 05:39PM

I am new to rod building and may not use the right terms. I have several 25 year old All Stars that I want to strip and rebuild with new guides. The biggest issue is the "finish coat", "top coat", or "clear coat" on the outer surface of the rod blank is coming off in places I guess from years in the sun. I want to take that all off. I am OK if my final product is not shiny like the original but more of a matte finish. How do I get that off?

I have read the post below regarding "Removing Epoxy", so if "Epoxy" is the right term, I guess I understand the process.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Finish Coat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2016 05:56PM

The coating on the blank is probably a urethane. You can scrape it off, or perhaps try a gentle finish remover like Citri-Strip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 06:49PM

Steve,
Whenever I want to redo an older rod as you mention, I just go for the Gusto so to speak and take it down to the raw blank - whether it is graphite or fiberglass.
When I get it that far, I use wet and dry sandpaper, starting with about 320 grit going down to 1000 grit used wet. Then I rinse the blank well and rebuild the blank from there. Normally, with an older rod like these, I also cut off the grips and reel seat and redo everything.

Going down to 1000 grit used wet gives the blank a matt finish as is common for several different brands of rods. By removing all of the finish, you end up with the blank being the lightest possible weight.

p.s.
The sanding comes after the Citri-Strip and scraping that removed about 95% of the finish.

Take care

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: October 24, 2016 07:16PM

Steve,
Citrus strip along with very fine steel wool and a scotch brite pad will be your friends. I have stripped many of the All Star IM 10X blanks (the blue ones) to a raw carbon finish. It works wonderfully, it will take some time and some good ole elbow grease but you will be very pleased. You just need to make sure that you completely rinse them in pure fresh water before beginning to build on them. A utility sink, hose or guest shower work great!!

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster