I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Combination Ferrule?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2016 10:58PM

And a glorious, good day to all!
Has anyone seen, heard of or made a combination ferrule with both an external tube and an internal spigot as well, for a multi piece rod? While the tip-over-butt is the norm these days, yester-years saw metal external ferrules and solid FG spigot ferrules. I just have an inquiring mind and would like to know.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Combination Ferrule?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2016 08:11AM

The modern tip-over-but ferrule is a superior design. It costs a bit more at the outset because you are basically creating two separate rod blanks rather than taking a single one and just cutting it in half and installing a ferrule.

There is really no reason to have a ferrule that is both over and inner. The idea isn't to make the ferrule stronger than the surrounding rod blank, but to have a junction that shares the rod's overall characteristics at that point. Ferrules need to flex, which the modern ones tend to do quite well.

Date: October 21, 2016 01:22PM

Tom,
Thank you for responding. Your comments and insight are always welcome and respected, even desired. I certainly agree the tip-over-butt is, arguably, the best of the three ferrule connections presently employed by the manufacturers. However, it is impossible for the rod builder to duplicate when producing a multi-piece from a one piece blank and our only alternatives has been to utilize an external or spigot ferrule. While most would agree an external is rather archaic and upsets the natural flex of a blank more than the other two, but simple to produce, there are those who would argue the more labor intensive spigot ferrule may be superior to the tip-over-butt regarding rod flex. The larger diameter external ferrule is typically stiffer and more durable than the more flexible yet more fragile spigot.
In my need to produce multi-piece rods from single-piece FG blanks, my habitual “Over-Thinking” utilized my structural composite knowledge in an attempt to engineer a better rod connection which could be fabricated by any rod builder. I have basically inverted the “composite sandwich” theory to produce a ferrule system which is flexible, strong and light. A composite sandwich utilizes a lightweight core of foam, balsa wood, Nomex or aluminum honeycomb bonded between two composite fabric skins to produce a piece which is extremely strong and stiff while remaining extraordinarily lightweight. I have inverted that by skinning the rather rigid rod blank with thin, flexible inner and outer FG tubes which work in conjunction with each other and the blank as well to continue the flex of the blank through the ferrule. The blank itself is utilized as a mold or buck to produce the ferrules with inherently identical tapers. Total weight of the inner and outer FG ferrules is 2g verses the 9g of a similar size aluminum ferrule. Rough static testing side-by-side with an identical 7ft blank revealed a difference of the flex curve to be less the 0.187in.
After some trial and error and refinement, I have one ferrule system ready to be tested. Dang, I guess I’ll have to go fishing. I will keep you posted.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2016 02:45PM

By using a lower modulus material to make the over-sleeve, the external tip-over-butt section can closely match the characteristics of the rod blank at that point. Please consult our article on making ferrules for the specifics.

Date: October 21, 2016 06:14PM

Tom.
You are well informed and precisely correct.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 06:31PM

Interesting, but find very little application! I guess if one had some one piece rods or blanks not getting used due to length, it would apply. I cannot see one buying one piece to make them multiple piece.

Date: October 26, 2016 12:48PM

Phil,
There is no need to acquire and chop-up an additional blank. I am fabricating the external and internal spigot ferrules from bi-axial woven FG sleeves and structural epoxy utilizing the blank itself as a mold or buck which inherently transfers the identical taper of the blank to the ferrules.

Mark Talmo

Date: October 26, 2016 06:45PM

Phil,
Excuse me. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Reading your reply a second time made me realize you meant buying a one piece blank to make a multi piece rod rather than just buying the multi piece blank in the first place. You are correct, I agree with you and I will every chance I get. However, I am dealing with one piece, new-old-stock (NOS) vintage FG blanks and do not have the option, plus other old two piece rods incorporate an old, metal external ferrule which do not perform as well while being 0.25oz heaver.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster