I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Epoxy
Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.dhcp4.washington.edu)
Date: October 20, 2016 12:16PM

So I invested quite a bit of money in an XST1264 build and after finishing it with epoxy it came out looking hazy. Not as clear as whats on my other rods so I know I must have messed up when mixing it. I put a lot of work into this rod and I'd like to re-wrap it. Is this a reasonable solution? Wondering if this is possible without messing up the condition of the blank. I've tried in the past with smaller projects and it always was a pain to get off and I would end up having to sand the blank, which would ruin the finish on an xst. Please let me know your thoughts!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Epoxy
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2016 02:02PM

What was the cause of the hazy appearance? First try to see if further curing time will cause the haze to go away. Was the cause high humidity/moisture? Perhaps put it out in the sun to hasten the curing?

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.nat.uw.edu)
Date: October 20, 2016 03:46PM

I'm not sure honestly. I finished the rod a couple months ago but the haziness is bothering me, I'd like the trim wraps to pop out more like my other rods which is why I'm considering stripping it. In addition, there are lots of very tiny bubbles within the epoxy over the decal which I'd clearly rather not have.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2016 04:11PM

Denham,
Unfortunately, I have tried doing similar things on other rods - i.e. removing the finish and or guides and have always ended up going through the finish down to the blank. I would refinish the area, and then make the wraps a bit longer to cover the rework under the guide, thread and finish to cover the areas that was reworked.

Often, when a finish has a hazy look to it, it is because of trapped moisture in the finish that would have happened, if the finish was applied and cured in an area containing a lot of humidity.

Unfortunately, if it were my rod, I would just ignore the haze and use it hard for the next couple of years, and by then, the general appearance of the rod will have become less importance.

Likely a better thing to do would be to build another rod on the XST1264 blank for yourself and then sell your current rod at a bit of a discount.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2016 04:19PM

If this is due to humidity (amine blush) it will typically rectify itself in a few weeks to a few months. If the haze is due to incomplete mixing, it is what it is now and forever. Fortunately, if the epoxy was not well mixed, you may find it soft enough to remove fairly easily.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.nat.uw.edu)
Date: October 20, 2016 06:06PM

I know I wouldn't have a problem removing the guides, seeing as I could just wrap over them with a bit more thread like what was mentioned above. My main concern would be where the decal is by the hook keeper. Could I successfully remove the epoxy in that area without messing up the exposed blank?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2016 06:19PM

Maybe. I have sliced epoxy off from such an area in slivers and it didn't seem to have affected the rod blank at all. This is particularly true if you didn't scuff the surface of the blank - the epoxy won't strongly adhere to it. The decal may be another matter, however.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 20, 2016 06:53PM

I do strip/re-build work on occasion, and it's not that difficult at all. Simply heat the finish up with a hair dryer and scrape it off with your thumb nails. It takes a little effort, but nothing you can't handle.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2016 12:03AM

Thanks I'll take my time and give that a shot.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2016 01:40AM

Hi Denham,

Best way to cleanly remove finish and guides for me takes elements from the above with a few added steps. Heat up the epoxy carefully and cut a portion of the end of the wrap so you can unravel the thread the opposite direction that you wrapped it. Heat the epoxy (I use a heat gun) carefully from time to time so the thread will pull the rest of the epoxy off. Once all the thread is off, use a popsicle stick and go back and forth over the finish that is still on the blank to abrade it till its white and powdery (it will still cling to the blank pretty well). Then get some denatured alcohol on a paper towel and wipe the epoxy stains on the blank, letting it soak into the abraded epoxy stains. You can use the popsicle stick to go back and forth over the epoxy and see that it will start to cleanly pull the rest of the epoxy off the blank. Repeat the process with the denatured alcohol as needed. The use of the popsicle stick is just enough to do the work without scratching the blank. The process is fast and you won't be able to tell you even wrapped it.

Couple things, you don't want or need to use that much heat. Nothing hotter than I can touch is my basic principle. Also, let the denatured alcohol do the work. The popsicle stick only abrades the epoxy stains enough so the alcohol can soak in.

Good luck,
Nick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 01:41AM by Nick Lam.

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.i02-5.onvol.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 04:52AM

Yes it's possible to remove epoxy from a decal area without damaging the blank ... you have to work very patiently using your fingers, nails or plastic burnishing tools, very carefully, no metal tools. You have to be very carefully on your first cut because normally the damage is done at that point. Just cut very thinly to allow your nails or burnishing tool to peel off the epoxy, but don't go deep to the blank. Use occasional moderate heat as well ... and use your finger to wipe off the remaining stickiness, you should be able to bring the blank to its original position. Good luck!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 06:08PM

I'd like to thank Nick Lam for his above post. I'm rewrapping 3 Rick Clunn sig. series rods from Bass Pro that are on beautiful translucent blue blanks and I was able to remove the old wrap finish completely with this method. I was able to skip the heat and it worked perfectly. I was just removing the finish that remained after I had the guides off. One of those golden moments when you read a post an hour after you cut the guides off! Don't happen much! Lynn

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: October 25, 2016 06:34PM

Cheers, happy building. Nick

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2016 12:30AM

Nick I just tried your method but I couldn't get all of the epoxy off to where the blank is totally clean. I've been using alcohol and the popsicle stick but there are still very thin streaks that I'll have to resort to sanding in order to clean it completely. However I will say that this is a great method overall. I can't really imagine any method that could remove all the epoxy without having to sand it a little.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster