I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

selection of rod blank for bass poppers & wgted streamers
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 20, 2016 09:13AM

I am currently searching for a 9/10' fly rod for bass,steelhead and some salt water fishing. A stiff fast action type seems to be the obvious choice. I've steered clear of stiff rods because of the suggestion that stiff rods quickly point out the mistakes that I make casting moderate and glass rods. Now recently got a lesson fly casting and the my instructor said that I cast very well on smaller streams and I keep my arm close to my side and use my wrist a lot . When My cast gets out about 30' or so the loop gets big and unmanageable. I am currently working on less wrist and more fore arm. I had the opportunity to cast a Sage One rod w/stiff action and that was an eye opener. I do have a budget that I am going to stick to so blanks @250.00$ and up are pretty much out of consideration. Frankly, blanks of the afore mentioned budget restraints would make me over cautious and prone to doing a less than good job and would beat up my current rod building abilities. Ive been building since last August with some help from YouTube. I'm just trying to make a good decision and be happy with the choice I make.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: selection of rod blank for bass poppers & wgted streamers
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 20, 2016 10:37AM

I would recommend a TFO blank - BVK model, a 9 foot 9 weight. There is considerable difference in action between the 8 foot and 9 foot BVK. You should learn to double-haul cast. It is NOT difficult to learn with good instruction, it will save a lot of wear and tear on your shoulder, and you will be able to easily cast 75' with a fast or slow action rod. You will be able to cast effectively when the wind blows.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 20, 2016 11:28AM

Mr. Kelsey,
The North Fork Composites and Eternity Fly models I'd suggest from our lineup are listed below. All will suit your price range. You can check out the details in our catalog or give us a call if you like.

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

NFC F 968-2 (IM), NFC F967-2 (IM) page 254

ETEF907-4CB, ETEF908-4CB page 246

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 20, 2016 12:09PM

Sorry: I meant to say there is considerable difference between the 8 WEIGHT and 9 WEIGHT BVK blanks. If you take your time and read up on how to build a fly rod you can build a BVK rod as good as or better than the factory model for less than $250. I built two of them. Learn how to double haul. It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2016 12:54PM

The TFO is a nice blank, just know that of all the rods out there, even the custom builds, I've seen more broken than any other brand. The factory rods have more loose grips, reelseats, and broken guides than any I can think of on the steelhead rivers I fish, so definitely build your own on these blanks. I fished an 8 wt. Eternity for about 3 hours last year, it's definitely a nice stick.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 20, 2016 01:05PM

Robert,
The Sage One is being discontinued. Clearance blanks might be worth looking for.
The TFO BVK may be the exception, most blanks were fast action but very heavy in weight. I prefer lighter quicker blanks.
St Croix may have something in your weight and length range. Generally they will throw a line one size heavy as well as rated line.

Gene

Posted by: Eric Hanson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2016 04:13AM

I'm not entirely sure that anyone could recommend you a blank to fit the bill based on the limited information you've given. IMO I would want to know what environments you fish in and more specifics on your quarry.

I personally use a different setup for each fish you mention; switch for salmon/trout in the salt, spey for salmon/steelhead on big rivers, and a single hander for bass on lakes.

Regardless, I would recommend that you keep getting lessons from a FFF certified casting instructor and practicing.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.wireless.coliinc.com)
Date: October 21, 2016 08:29AM

Bushido BF909-4 or BF909-2 by American Tackle are phenomenal blanks. Light, straight and strong. Give one a try.

Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 21, 2016 09:53AM

Hello Eric Hanson. I'll try to give you a clearer picture of the kind of fishing I do. Most of the fishing I do is on a lake and rivers. I have a liking for small trout streams but trout streams seem to be at times more time consuming to find where lakes and rivers are more accessible or easier to get to. Bass and pan fish are fished for more often than not here in Michigan. I am retired and will be visiting southern Texas and would do some salt water fishing. I do have a 9' 8 wt moderate action and when I try to cast clouser minnows or bass sized poppers all I can get from the cast is big loops which become unmanageable at any distance. Now I won't blame the rod they are like any tool in the hands of a skilled operator what I have is probably fine. Some more lessons are probably in order. I did try a sage ONE stiff/fast action and did like the feel of the rod and did cast somewhat further than I had before with any rod. Bass and pan fish and some salt/ and stream fishing are most likely what I am going to do to be more specific. Again, I like to build and I would like to build a stiffer' fast action rod so when case may require a heavier duty rod comes up I am good to go hence the inquiry of a stiffer rod.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 21, 2016 12:19PM

Robert,
Congratulations on retirement. Now you have the time to explore fly fishing. The challenges never stop.
You might look at the Sage bass series. A little easier on the elbow and very quick.
If you tie flies you might consider your own creations for use on a fly rod line weight you want to throw rather than the store-bought creations.
This allows the tailoring of the fly to the line you prefer.
Find a local fly shop and bring your desired offerings. Most will let you find the rod and line weight to best deliver the fly. Use their expertise in casting to increase your own abilities. Your improvements will be faster than you expect once you have a capable rod and the technique to cast it. Experiment with leader length for particular flies.
An 8 weight fast rod will handle blue gill to smallmouth and some of the less wind resistant largemouth offerings. It will also make a satisfactory trout rod once you learn to control the line and lay it down gently.

Gene

Date: October 22, 2016 02:15PM

Get Bit to the left has the St. Croix 4F989.4 Clouser Special bass rod blank on sale less than 50% off. It's a good stick designed for bigger rivers and lakes.

Date: October 22, 2016 05:29PM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2016 05:30PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster