I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule doesn't fit blank
Posted by: gervais sharp (158.26.2.---)
Date: October 17, 2016 07:39PM

I am building offshore rods, and the butts I want to use on these blanks are small for the butt end of the blank. I hate to cut the rod shorter which I hear changes the action so do I just sand down the end of the blank for a fit? None on this will be see. The ferrule glues on the end then a 12" fore grip on top of that. I can't see after being glued and all how it could possibly hurt the rod in anyway. Thoughts, Experience is appreciated.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule doesn't fit blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2016 09:38PM

Get a larger ferrule and build the blank up if necessary with a shim or bushing.

Posted by: gervais sharp (158.26.2.---)
Date: October 17, 2016 11:11PM

I am still green, but that will work, if the larger ferrule fits the butts that I have. I have larger butts with ferrules that will fit. When I get home I'll check and see if its all interchangeable. Well now that I'm thinking about it, it won't work because that size ferrule screws onto the butt. Larger ferrule, larger diameter than the butt it screws into. Yeah, probably not an option.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2016 06:46AM

Take some pictures of your situation and post them to help clarify your issue.

Be safe

Date: October 18, 2016 08:03AM

They're not necessarily interchangeable. So what you have are butts and ferrules that do not fit your rod blanks, or vice versa. You need a new ferrule and butt, that will fit the blank you have.

Posted by: gervais sharp (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 18, 2016 08:18AM

Ok, the brand of blank I wanted was Calstar. I wanted a 6' rod and the company I was buying from told me to get this certain blank for the application. The blank itself is the shortest one they make, 4' 10". Guy said that would get you about a 6' rod. I ordered it, and I ordered butts that would fit the blank; however this put the rod at over 7' long. Without thinking I ordered shorter butts, and as we all know, they don't fit. I have just googled every brand and nothing will fit this blank without making it SUPER LONG! Wait, there is one brand, Winthrop, but if I buy two Winthrop butts that will get me there, I'll have after shipping, around 800 dollars just in the butts. Yes, I am new to this, and these are my first rods. Bought 4 butts, neither work and I've been trying to get everything I need for almost 2 months. I am so discouraged at this point. I consider myself a pretty bright guy, but with all the options, no mentor, and ignorance....well I just have about had it. I have spent a lot of money and have gotten nowhere.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 18, 2016 08:44AM

Is there a big difference between the blank size and the ferrule that you have? Measure the two parts and post their sizes.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 18, 2016 08:45AM

The blanks are hollow, as opposed to solid glass?
If so, perhaps a "spigot" can be made by inserting a piece of scrap blank into the end
of the original blank that is small enough to fit the handle you have.
If it is too small a difference, there might be another way.,
A picture or better description of how much "too small" the ferrule you are trying to fit would help.
Don't get discouraged, there is a learning curve.
Most dealers that are sponsors here are willing to help you get the right sizes and matches if you ask.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: October 18, 2016 08:51AM

ferrule is .873, and rod butt is .92. The blank is not hollow. It is graphite on the butt end and glass towards the tip. I dont have a smart phone so I cant take pictures and post until I have a friend come do it for me..... I know, Im old school and refuse the smart phone! Wait, I'm only 35, lol

Date: October 18, 2016 09:07AM

If you have a graphite/glass composite, it is almost surely a tubular blank. But you can't just stick a section of something in the end and put that in the ferrule and expect it not to fail under the strain from a good fish. You are either going to have to shorten the blank by trimming from the butt until things fit, or use the next larger size butt and ferrule. Trying to pound a square peg into a round hole is never the best way to do something.

Date: October 18, 2016 04:58PM

You are correct sir, it is hollow. I'll just cut the darn thing.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2016 05:39PM

The aftco unibutt and others made by pac bay, alps all have the same i.d. of .875". The short unibutt is 17.76" long and that added to the 4'10" that you say is the length of the blank would not make it 7 ft but a tad over the 6' that you want. By trimming some off the butt end of the blank should get you close to the 6 ft that you wanted. What is the problem? If cutting off about 3 " will give you the correct fit for the unibutt ....sounds like you are there.

Date: October 19, 2016 07:10AM

No, the blank diameter is larger than .875 it does not fit. I have both alps and aftco butts. To get one that fits the blank, it would make it 7 ft

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2016 02:30PM

gervais sharp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, the blank diameter is larger than .875 it does
> not fit. I have both alps and aftco butts. To get
> one that fits the blank, it would make it 7 ft

If you use the butt that you have and it is .875 I.D. then it would require you to cut the blank from 4' 10" down to where the O.D. of the blank fits into the butt. The combined length of the rod including the butt would be less than the length of the butt which is 17.76" plus the length of the blank
at something less than 4"10". Do the math.... 4' 10" plus 17 3/4" equals 6' 3 3/4". Assuming that you cut off 3 3/4" from your blank, what is the O.D. of the blank at that point? Will it then fit the ferrule?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster