I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

heat shrink over grips
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 17, 2016 12:35PM

How well does flocked, heat-shrink tubing hold up over filled cork hold up before it becomes slippery?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heat shrink over grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2016 01:31PM

I think that this is an impossible question to answer. Too many variables with out stating the exact conditions of the rod use.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: October 17, 2016 07:47PM

I use the flocked for fore grips on surf rods. Holds up good with no slip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2016 08:47PM

I have reconditioned some old rods where the cork handles were in pretty sad shape. After filling and sanding the cork smooth used the flocked heat shrink tubing to cover the cork. They are still in service after a number of years and the owners were very happy with the results. If it goes slick or gets damaged cut it off and put on another one. It is cheaper than replacing the cork handle and actually looks and performs quite well.
Norm

Posted by: Serge Thomas (172.58.225.---)
Date: October 17, 2016 09:44PM

I have put the shrink over grip on all my rods over a year ago after reading a post on Dan Blanton's bulletin board (after people prized the Vapen grip on the Redington rod). Works great and I love the feel. Very easy to put on and does not seem to disintegrate over time. Very inexpensive too if you know where to look.
Cheers
Serge

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 18, 2016 07:13AM

Are there any thin heat shrinks...? There are a few grips of mine that I'd like to use heat shrink on without changing the size of the grip too much. Thanks!

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: October 18, 2016 09:26AM

It is thin. I think the flocked 1/16-1/32 " thick.

Posted by: Serge Thomas (---.fgcu.edu)
Date: October 18, 2016 10:59AM

I concur. It is very thin yet very tough membrane.

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 01:04AM

Oh, nice! I didn't realize it is that thin. I was thinking it would be thicker for some reason. Thanks!

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2016 01:26AM

Adam,maybe you were thinking of something along the lines of 3M Cold Shrink tubing. That is typically thicker and used on West Coast style rail rods.

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2016 08:55PM

Actually Chuck, I was thinking about some of the thicker heat shrink tubing Ive encountered over the years. Thanks for the clarification!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster