I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting blank - change power or action?
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2016 10:02PM

Hi all. I am wondering which characteristic am I changing if I cut off 6" or more off a rod? Power or Action? Correct me if I'm wrong, power is in terms of light, medium, or heavy and action is slow, mod or fast?

So for example if I cut off 6" from a 9ft medium fast rod, does that turn into an 8'6" medium mod-fast or 8'6" medium light fast? Any thoughts or input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting blank - change power or action?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2016 10:39PM

You affect both when you trim a blank. There is a good article in the new RodMaker that details what happens when you trim from tip, butt or both. An illustration is used to depict each scenario.

In any case, trimming always results in a slower action. Speed is generally increased. Power may be reduced if you trim from the butt, but overall power remains mostly the same if you trim from the tip, while possibly increasing casting lure weight range.

Terms like "Mod-fast" and "Medium Light" are subjective to begin with. Without numbers to back them up, they mean very little. But again, action will become slower if you trim anything from either end.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2016 08:45AM

Sid,
I have trimmed many many blanks go get the exact rod needed for a given purpose.

About 95% of the time I will do all of the trimming from the butt of the blank.

Many of the rods that I build are for Walleye fishing - which generally require a very flexible soft tip for bite detection. In many rods, trimming anything from the tip can result in a much stiffer tip that causes one to lose the bite detection that a softer tip will give.

However, now and then, I need a blank with a heavier tip to handle a particular fishing style, or bait. In that case, I will trim from the tip, but generally only in 1/4 inch increments or so. On many blanks the removal of any length at all can drastically alter the performance and or use of a given blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 13, 2016 08:47AM

Tom, would you clarify ". . .trimming always results in a slower action. Speed is generally increased." Can't get my mind around that, so I'm missing something.

Date: October 13, 2016 08:59AM

[www.tacklewarehouse.com]

Read the article and check out the pictures. The link contains the information to answer the question about rods power, speed and action. -- also how the numbers change when the rod is made less long.

Be safe

Date: October 13, 2016 10:09AM

Action is where the blank initially flexes. No matter what percentage initially flexes as supplied, trimming it from either end will increase that percentage. Thus the action becomes slower.

Speed is reaction and recovery time. All else being equal, when you make a blank shorter, the frequency will usually increase, resulting in an increase in speed.

Date: October 13, 2016 10:11AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.tacklewarehouse.com]
> n.html
>
> Read the article and check out the pictures. The
> link contains the information to answer the
> question about rods power, speed and action. --
> also how the numbers change when the rod is made
> less long.
>
> Be safe

The illustration on that site depicting action is incorrect. It is from an old illustration put out by a blank maker many, many years ago showing a fast action blank flexed to greater and greater degrees. It does not depict different actions.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 13, 2016 06:50PM

It seems to me a lot would depend on what end of the blank was cut off ??

rog

Date: October 13, 2016 07:03PM

Not in terms of Action or Speed. Cutting from either end, or both, will result in a slower action and quicker speed.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: October 13, 2016 07:12PM

Lots of good info from Tom. I agree with Roger. Best to buy the blank you need rather that cut a blank. So many options these days it shouldn't be hard to find the one you need. Good luck.

Date: October 14, 2016 09:48AM

Michael,
I like to build on one series of blanks. In the series - there are plenty of blanks to cover the rod building needs that I have. However, from time to time, I need to make a blank longer or shorter to satisfy a particular clients request.
So, I either chop the butt of the rod to make the rod shorter, or add material to the blank and hide it in the grip to make the rod longer.

Be safe

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: October 14, 2016 08:26PM

I totally get it Roger. I've done the same with surf rods. Mainly cut the butt to shorten but I do everything I can to guide the customer into buying the length they want. Ive cut the tip of a few rods to make fluke bucktailing rods but again I'm always looking for blanks that fit the build so I don't have to do that. It's a last resort for me. I appreciate the response. Best, Mike

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.31-151.wind.it)
Date: April 26, 2020 10:51AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> You affect both when you trim a blank. There is a
> good article in the new RodMaker that details what
> happens when you trim from tip, butt or both. An
> illustration is used to depict each scenario.
>
> In any case, trimming always results in a slower
> action. Speed is generally increased. Power may be
> reduced if you trim from the butt, but overall
> power remains mostly the same if you trim from the
> tip, while possibly increasing casting lure weight
> range.
>
> Terms like "Mod-fast" and "Medium Light" are
> subjective to begin with. Without numbers to back
> them up, they mean very little. But again, action
> will become slower if you trim anything from
> either end.
>
> ................
I read the Article showed from Tom (wrote from Capt. Mike Ballard), it is a great article and has clarify in me some aspect to trim blank's. I had a problem to undestand about the use of tools to predict how much change the results. More precisely, I can't translate (according to the meaning of what to do) the second method that Mike suggests, can someone help me by explaining it in different words?
Sorry but these are the limits imposed by the language!
Thank you very much for all the help you want to offer me.

Thank you for your support
Marco Cellini

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.31-151.wind.it)
Date: April 26, 2020 10:52AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> You affect both when you trim a blank. There is a
> good article in the new RodMaker that details what
> happens when you trim from tip, butt or both. An
> illustration is used to depict each scenario.
>
> In any case, trimming always results in a slower
> action. Speed is generally increased. Power may be
> reduced if you trim from the butt, but overall
> power remains mostly the same if you trim from the
> tip, while possibly increasing casting lure weight
> range.
>
> Terms like "Mod-fast" and "Medium Light" are
> subjective to begin with. Without numbers to back
> them up, they mean very little. But again, action
> will become slower if you trim anything from
> either end.
>
> ................
I read the Article showed from Tom (wrote from Capt. Mike Ballard), it is a great article and has clarify in me some aspect to trim blank's. I had a problem to undestand about the use of tools to predict how much change the results. More precisely, I can't translate (according to the meaning of what to do) the second method that Mike suggests, can someone help me by explaining it in different words?
Sorry but these are the limits imposed by the language!
Thank you very much for all the help you want to offer me.

Thank you for your support
Marco Cellini

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster