I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NRX Comparisons
Posted by: Matthew Priestley (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 09, 2016 11:05PM

Hi all,

I'm new to custom rods and up until now mainly fished, G Loomis NRX, Megabass and Evergreen rods. NRX are reknowned for their extra fast action and sensitivity. My question is what would be the closest blanks to NRX ?

Thanks in advance

Matthew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NRX Comparisons
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: October 09, 2016 11:35PM

Your best bets are going to be the Northfork Composites HM's and the Batson Eternity 2 swirl sanded models and the next best options are going to be the St Croix SCV's and the Phoenix K2's.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 10, 2016 11:42AM

North Fork Composites would definitely be the closest to NRX. Designed by the same Gary Loomis with updated designs and materials, kind of the 2nd generation of those Loomis rod blanks.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Matthew Priestley (107.77.111.---)
Date: October 10, 2016 01:29PM

Thanks James and Thomas for your steer to NFC. My reservation is that those blanks seem to be on the slower side. Or is it just the labeling on the website when it says Fast, that's actually NRX Extra Fast ?

Date: October 10, 2016 02:00PM

Matthew,
I can tell you that my HM MB705's as well as my HM MB 709's are definitely on the faster side of the fast spectrum. I would even go to say that the 705 is closer to extra fast. I would ask what technique you are looking to utilize the blanks for and that way we could try to help and put you in the blank that should fulfill the requirements that you are looking for. As far as sensitivity goes, I don't know that you can do better than the HM's and the Eternity SS ( I suspect these are HM's in disguise, and can tell you I really like them very much!!!!)

When it comes to a true extra fast, St. Croix is awfully hard to beat!! The SCV is one heck of a blank as well.

Tom

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 10, 2016 03:00PM

Casting is by far the chief benefit of an extra-fast fly rod. Sensitivity and hook setting don't seem to have much to do with the the rigidity of a fly rod, where the angler watches rather than feels a hit. What is the benefit of an extra-fast casting or spinning rod when using artificial lures?

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 10, 2016 04:31PM

Matthew, was there a specific model that you were looking at for NFC?
They have some Ex-Fast models.

We feel their ratings are pretty true.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2016 07:38PM

Not all the NRX rods I've played with have an X Fast action. You are going to have to be more specific. Lots of X Fast blanks out there, they've been around a long time. G Loomis alone has made them for about 30 years or so.

Date: October 10, 2016 08:41PM

I'm in search of a blank that I can use for 5" weightless senkos. Crazy as this sounds but a Yamamoto 5" Senko actually weighs 3/8oz by itself. I'm looking for that unicorn of a blank that will ensure any action imparted on the bait will be mostly vertical rather than dragging it closer to the boat.

A fast tip seems key for this bait. The best I've used so far was a Megabass X7 Bearingdown Type X with a Stinger tip but I foolishly sold it for a NRX 852c which is a cracking rod but I feel it's better with bottom contact baits than my little old weightless Senko.

I plan to get into custom rods in a big at so I can benefit from spiral wrap, Torzite guides, carbon grips as well as my favored Fuji SKT reel seat.

One thing that I'm intrigued to learn as a side is if you could purchase a NRX blank, would it cost the same as a NFC HM ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2016 08:43PM by Matthew Priestley.

Date: October 10, 2016 09:20PM

Matthew, you would not be disappointed by the HM MB 705. I use mine for throwing 1/4oz shaky heads with a mag finesse worm behind it on rocky bottoms. It is one of the absolute most sensitive blanks that I've fished.

I can't comment on the NRX as Loomis hasn't offered their blanks to the public since 2007 if I recall correctly, so the comparison is a moot point. It sounds like you have the plans for a fantastic build!! I haven't built them with the Torzite guides as of yet as I am too cheap to use them. Mine are built with Alconites, Kigans or Batson's.

The HM's are the best that Gary has to offer so far.

Dive on into the custom pool and have fun. It can easily become an obsession!

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2016 07:11PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 11, 2016 11:56AM

PB731MXF
PB701MF

Fast, fast, fast.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 11, 2016 06:27PM

Looking for Extra Fast blanks? Below is a good read on extra fast mag tapper MHX blanks:
[blog.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: October 11, 2016 07:57PM

The PB731MXF looks on paper to be borderline X Fast but the PB701MF seems to be Fast

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2016 07:59PM

AA figures don't lie and are completely relative and objective. More companies need to use them.

Date: October 11, 2016 08:01PM

As for the MHX blanks, are they in the same league as the NFC HM, K2, Point Blank and Eternity2 blanks ?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2016 09:24PM

Edge rods are made with NFC blanks, there are two lines the First Strike (IM), and the Black Widow (HM), most ot their bass rods are listed as extra fast action. If they are sold near you go and feel a few to see how they compare to your NRX. Without the common cents info it is difficult to compare blanks from one company to those of another. That is the major reason the CC system was developed. There are a lot of good blanks currently available. The MHX HM extra fast blanks are very nice, and in my opinion a very good buy. The Point Blanks are also very nice, as are the St Croix V and Eternity blanks. The NFC blanks are light and sensitive, but are much more expensive then the others. Are they worth the extra cost? In my opinion no. They are not that much better for the money than the other blanks listed. I have found that there is a curve of diminishing returns when it comes to cost vs performance. Others may disagree with me on this. If you want the most expensive go with the NFC blank. If you want the best for you it's up to you to determine that. Everyone has an opinion as to what they like, but it may differ from yours.
Norm

Date: October 11, 2016 10:16PM

Thanks Norm. Appreciate your comments. It would be great if the numbers were more widely available. I've had some success digging up numbers for the Eternity2 blanks and Point Blank does a great job of publishing them.

Date: October 12, 2016 08:30AM

Is there a Blank out there comparable to the NRX 893 (7'5" Extra Fast) that's sweet spot is 3/8oz ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2016 08:54AM by Matthew Priestley.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 14, 2016 12:39PM

The unstated assumption here seems to be the rod will be used to fish for freshwater bass, perhaps largemouth bass, but it is not clear whether this rod will be used to fish artificial worms, dug worms, diving plugs, floating plugs, or jigs. Which of these uses requires an extra-fast blank?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 14, 2016 04:27PM

I believe the rod's intended for fishing 5" weightless Senkos.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster